Warming up

Still getting to grips with my new Defender 90 ( 1994 ), was out at the weekend, riding up and down the east coast of Fife, lovely day

However I did notice that it was starting to get quite warm under the middle seat. Took the seat bttomo out and the metal underneath was very warm to the touch, not painful, just hot.

Stayed this warm all day but not getting any hotter, and cooled down quite quickly when I got home and left it standing.

No burning smell or anything, temp gauge normal all day ( and functioning as it went up to about 1/4 gauge after the first hour on the road ).

So just checking this is normal, and if not what should I be doing about it

Cheers for any help

Try touching the gearbox after a run, that's whats under the centre seat. Oh, and the exhaust too.

In the summer it gets very hot! In winter you do not notice.

The heat just seems to get trapped there. No road speed seems to circulate the air in that area.

For your own peace of mind you may feel it worth changing the oil in g'box and transferbox if it is not specifically stated in the service history/receipts

Guys, thanks very much puts my mind at ease. Didn't think it was a major problem as no smell and soon cooled down

Will think about oil changes when I get some time in next couple of weeks

Cheers

Keiff