Wheel wobble

mettisse

As usual i'm probably the last to find out, had a violent wheel wobble start for no apparent reason, started about 55kmh and if your brave could drive through it, checked all the usual suspects, wheel bearings, swivels obviously wheels balanced, it turned out to be the panhard rod bushes creamed, now great!, this was on my Hybrid running OME shocks, De-Carbon steering Damper, 33x 12.5 BFG Muds on 300tdi axles. never heard of this problem before, you?

Be glad that it was a nice easy fix ;);)

yup, if you have a mate with a large press.

This is the only job so far I've paid to have done, about a year ago. The fool that did the job took 2 hours or something daft to do it.

I've just noticed last week that he's fitted the rod upside down. :(:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

yup, if you have a mate with a large press.

This is the only job so far I've paid to have done, about a year ago. The fool that did the job took 2 hours or something daft to do it.

I've just noticed last week that he's fitted the rod upside down. :(:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well it was handy that a pal had a spare, but mine was fitted with polybush "blue" an easy to replace job although now I think I'll use "red", (a little harder), and also put a spare set in the "box" cos its such an easy repair, no press req'd .Rgds :)

Been covered elsewhere on here, but you can do them without a press - you need either a holesaw or blowtorch (my preferred method :D ), a hacksaw and a small cold chisel or old flat bladed screwdriver.

Don't try to cut throught he inner sleeve - either burn out the rubber part of the bush or cut it out with a hole saw. With the hacksaw, cut nearly but not all the way through the outer sleeve in two places fairly close together - take great care not to slot the component the bearing is in, else you'll create a stress point. Then use the cold chisel and a hammer to drift out the bit between the cuts.

If you're using polybushes fitting the new one's is easy. Not tried to fit standard ones - I've heard you can to it with a big hammer, but I'd want to talk to someone who'd actually done it first...

I have replaced a fair few now on various vehicles

no cutting no blow torch just a trusty hammer and chisel.

I use a pointing chisel to burr the outside edges over towards the centre of the bush.

once done with a socket or drift hammer the bush through.

replaced the old with new using a vice after leaving the new bushes in the freezer overnight.

I've just finished putting polys in my panhard rod this morning

One of the old bushes fell out with a light tap :o

The other one, i used a drill to remove the majority of the rubber, knocked the center sleeve out, the used a hacksaw to cut a slot in the outer shell, a few good blows with the hammer and out she came

New ones were a bit of a fiddle to get in, mainly due to only having two hands, and having to do the vice up with my knee :unsure: