Is a series rear door same as a defender??

TonkaIIa

Evening all,

Been busy painting the Landy lately and thought it was time to get the rear door cleaned ready to repair and apply the primer and paint.

Looking at the rear door found the usual rusty area's with a few 100 coats of paint applied, being keen I thought it was a good idea to have the door blasted along with some other parts.

Took the items to my old works yesterday and agreed to collect them today, on the way there I received a phone call saying that the rear door has not turned out that well!! When I arrived and looked at it I realized the rear door skin was aluminum.

As you can see by the photos, it did not look well at all :o

post-8139-127560070524_thumb.jpg post-8139-127560071851_thumb.jpg

Due to me being so keen and getting the door grit blasted and destroyed, is it possible to fit a defender rear door onto a series IIa??

Will be posting on the wanted section soon for a rear door with no window as I did take this out with all trims.

First mistake on the project, and yes have learnt my lesson to ask before going ahead with something if not sure.....

Regards

Gary

A Defender door will fit fine. You may as well use the Defender anti-burst lock and third hinge as well.

Whoever blasted that wants shooting - I've done aluminium Landy panels with no problems at all, low pressure, keep the nozzle at a low angle and don't dwell in one place for too long!

Hi, I've just got a secondhand rear door for my Series 3 which I think comes from a defender because it has provision for 3 hinges.

Aside from hinges all I can see different is the positioning on the steel stiffening members on the inside. The one I've got is going to change the position of the spare wheel carrier plate towards the hinges by a few inches - this should be a bonus as it will allow easier access to the door lever.

Julian.

If the steel frame is not too far gone with rot then I would take off the old aluminium skin, blast the rest of the frame that is now exposed and prime and paint before fitting a new skin. Skins can be bought for not a lot and at least then you know that the frame is solid and well protected.

If the steel frame is not too far gone with rot then I would take off the old aluminium skin, blast the rest of the frame that is now exposed and prime and paint before fitting a new skin. Skins can be bought for not a lot and at least then you know that the frame is solid and well protected.

I'm thinking the same to remove the damaged panels and replace with new.

Would you know the part numbers for all the panels and were to purchase from?

Regards

Gary

Sorry to hijack....first post and all that.....

I'm trying to find out if the middle and bottom hinges on a defender rear door are the same and if the series bottom hinge is the same as a defender bottom hinge. The part numbers on the defender middle and bottom hinges are different but they look the same. Any ideas?

Thanks, Graham