New 90 Owner

Just put a deposit on my first Land Rover, an '85 90 truck cab (with soft top too). Was originally a 3.8 V8 on carbs, but that has been replaced with a 3.9 EFI from a RR. Mechanically and structurally seems sound, but the bodywork needs some serious TLC (any advice on best places to get good cheap bodyparts welcomed!).

Going to run it for a few weeks then most likely get the engine spruced up with an uprated cam and a chip, or possibly go the LPG route if the economy is real bad and I find myself doing more miles than originally anticpated!

Good luck with the 90, sounds nice. I bought quite a few bits an pieces for mine on eBay, I do a search for LAND Rover 90 and then select nearest first to see whats on offer nearby then have a look at the prices / how long to run - there are some bargains to be had if you keep your eyes open regularly.

Cheers,

Dave

PS that 3.9 will be thirsty - no doubt about that but LPG worked well on mine. :D

Hi, and welcome to the never ending drain on your wallet called owning a land rover :lol: seriously, their oily, messy, noisey, but so much fun, i wouldnt swap mine for a Porsche

Can we get some pics pls

Paul

Just put a deposit on my first Land Rover, an '85 90 truck cab (with soft top too). Was originally a 3.8 V8 on carbs, but that has been replaced with a 3.9 EFI from a RR. Mechanically and structurally seems sound, but the bodywork needs some serious TLC (any advice on best places to get good cheap bodyparts welcomed!).

Going to run it for a few weeks then most likely get the engine spruced up with an uprated cam and a chip, or possibly go the LPG route if the economy is real bad and I find myself doing more miles than originally anticpated!

Welcome to the forum, you picked a good one! ;)

Fleebay is the best source for panels I have found. although depending on what bits are bent, a few of the big parts people are selling ABS plastic front outer wing skins, I've been looking for 2 front wings for a 200tdi for a while but very few people want to send stuff this far north. So will be going for the ABS plastic ones when I get the new bulkhead put in :)

Happy hunting.

I'd check the 3.9 is on the V5 before you buy it. It could mean engineering reports to DVLA to get a change and then potentially increase in insurance as it won't appear as a standard vehicle configuration on the big insurance company screens...

Like you say, run it for a while before you go playing with engine etc. Know what you have before you try and get what you want. You are not lilely to notice much of a difference with just a cam change unless the current one is really worn.

My rule of thumb is to make sure you have adequate brakes, bushes and suspension before you try and make your brick go faster!

If you want more horses, you will need to consider heads, exhaust system, inlet manifold and then then probably a total replacement for the EFI system to something that can deliver the right fuelling for your changes !

Put aside a few thousand quid now in readiness for your first "tweak".....

Then just keep spending.

My 4.6 delivers 12-14 MPG when driving short journeys (With liberal application of the loud pedal) but when cruising in overdrive on longer journeys will deliver 18mpg.

Like others have already said, Ebay and the For Sale area on here can yield good panels and value for money...

Neil

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Picked her up yesterday. V5 does still say 3.5 V8 but I have it insured with a replacement 3.9 V8 engine as a modification, so covered in that perspective.

The V8 does seem down on power a little, not what I would expect 180bhp and 250 ft/lbs of torque to feel like from a V8, so it maybe that the cam is warn. The main decision is whether to try and tune it as a petrol only engine or to go the LPG route and tune it for LPG. E.g. with an RPi OMVL LPG kit you get a dual fuel chip, so no need to spend £300-£400 on an optimax or tornado chip and also avoid the need to replace the ignition system etc as you get all new injectors and leads.

I don't really want to tune the engine for much more power, just want to make sure it is making the sort of power it should and doing it as efficiently as possible!

I do however need to first think about the steering, was like driving a boat. There is a lot of movemement in the steering column before you feel anything from the wheels. So any advice on what might cause wollowy steering??

It does have offroad tyres on it, they are General Super All Grip (like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/750-16-General-Sag-Super-All-Grip-MUD-tyres-x-4-/190237555615), so think a change of tyre to something more suited to the road might be in order.

Any recommendations for some good road tyres? Am hoping I'll be able to pick up a set of used alloys with road tyres cheap second hand, so let me know if you have any!