Thermostat housing cover

I am getting as sick as a chip with my residual problem of temperature senders/matching gauges etc. Just as a bit of background, my defender has a 200tdi disco engine, but the sender did not match the gauge and if anyone else says take the original gauge and sender from the disco I will kill them!

The problem is that the Disco thermostat housing has a 3/8 UNF (I think) temp sender, whereas the defender and all aftermaket ones I find have a 10mm UNF thread.

NO-ONE in the world has an adapter. FACT

Anyhow, I have decided to tap the thermostat housing cover and put my new (second new one) 10mm temp sender in the top, where the aircon would be. Does anyone know what the part number is for this?? My EPC doesnt like my notebook, and I dont have the 200tdi Disco in the hundred or so RAVE Cd's I seem to have!

I want to get a new housing incase I stuff the tapping process, being into aluminium and all!

Grateful for advice.

(Except - 1. buy a capillary gauge. 2. fork out 10million quid for a Racetech gauge. 3. What you need is a OEM defender gauge!) :D

Strange, becuase my defender temp sender screwed perfectly into my disco engine and the defender guage now shows the corect temp :wacko::blink:

It is not me! Honest! The Defender originally had a TD engine, so I assume it had the TD gauge, so maybe the Defender 200tdi gauge/sender is 3/8UNF thread too, and thats why it fits, however I have an aftermarket gauge now (well two, the first one was a bit bling and I couldnt read it in daylight), so I WILL carry this through and fit my new gauge and undersized sender!!! (even if I have to rebuild the engine around it!!!) :lol:

Thermostat upper housing for Air Con fitted vehicles [200Tdi] is ETC5958 [same as the air con fitted TD engine part] or just drill/tap your existing housing at one of the vertical blank holes.

My 110 had a TD engine I still have the TD gauge running with the 200Tdi sender & it works fine.

Thanks Western, The original gauge always showed HOT! I renewed the thermostat and by chance it needed a new radiator too (300tdi Rad oddly enough), so I assumed the gauge/sender was mismatched! I will have a go at drilling and tapping one of the blank holes to fit new sender.

For info: The original/old one is on the left and replacing with the other.

tempgauges.jpg

My 110 had a TD engine I still have the TD gauge running with the 200Tdi sender & it works fine.

Western,

Where abouts does your needle sit (inside the gauge I know before funny comments!) during normal running with the TD gauge and Disco sender? This is what I have in my old TD now so wondering how yours sits.

Cheers,

Dan

Here's what I did.....

Took the original temp sender and drilled the centre out, including all the lecky bits and the tube leaving just the threaded bit with a hole in it big enough for the capilllery tube to pass through

Got the smallest adaptor that came with the temperature guage this fitted nicley inside what was left of the old sender

Brazed this together, Screwed it into the block, the probe(Oh-err)went straight in :blink: ,do up the union and hey-presto......job done :P

leak free and re-usable

Western,

Where abouts does your needle sit (inside the gauge I know before funny comments!) during normal running with the TD gauge and Disco sender? This is what I have in my old TD now so wondering how yours sits.

Cheers,

Dan

Firstly my 200Tdi is Not a Discovery unit but a genuine Defender [retro-fit kit]

IMG_0857.jpg

so the sender is a Defender version as for the gauge needle it normally sits at about vertical position & slightly beyond when working really hard

Rather than muckin round with temp senders and all that, I match mine up with a system of resistors either in series, or parallel with the sender depending on whether it reads high or low.

Also works for fuel gauges (ive had a rangie sender working on a series gauge)

It does of course mean that you need to know your engine is at the correct temperature...