Wheel cylinder sizes

Julian

I've a series 3 88" diesel. (1978) A rear wheel cylinder is leaking fluid out all over the tyre so ordered a new one #243302, which is the correct one as shown in the parts book.

Anyway, pulled the drum off and discovered that it's got a smaller bore than the one already fitted. Bsugger! So looking back in the parts book I have decided that maybe my vehicle has got a 109" (inc V8) axle fitted - I also have noted that the rear wheel studs are a larger diameter than the wheel studs on the front axle.

Do you think I'm thinking along the right lines? I've ordered a cylinder for a 109" which will be available for me tomorrow morning - let's hope it's the right size.

Is there any problems with having odd-ball axles on the vehicle, I wonder if the ratios are the same.....

Cheers Julian.

Earlier SIII 88 (with single leading fronts) had a smaller cylinder on the rear than the front. Later 88's with the twin leading shoe fronts had the larger diameter on the rear (which is the same as the early fronts, I forget the actual dimensions).

So the correct size of cylinder depends on your front brakes, somebody may have upgraded the system.

It is vital to make sure the same size cylinders are fitted to each side.

Earlier SIII 88 (with single leading fronts) had a smaller cylinder on the rear than the front. Later 88's with the twin leading shoe fronts had the larger diameter on the rear (which is the same as the early fronts, I forget the actual dimensions).

So the correct size of cylinder depends on your front brakes, somebody may have upgraded the system.

It is vital to make sure the same size cylinders are fitted to each side.

OK thanks. Mine has the twin leading shoe fronts, and checking the parts book once again I can see that the swap was from July 1980.

So I wonder if my brakes have been ''upgraded'' to the later type, or maybe ''upgraded'' even further by fitting a 109 axle - given that the wheel stud sizes are bigger at the back? Anyway, I'll take the old one along as a pattern tomorrow to ensure I have the correct size.

Julian.