200tdi getting hot onlong jernoys

morning people.

recantly i have noticed my 200tdi defender has been over heating on long jorneys.

i.e last night about 12pm ish i was driving up the a12 sitting at 60mph all the way and the temp was fine. about 40-45 mins into driving i looked at the guage and it was very nearly onto the red.

it has done this twice before but it was really hot and i just put it down the hot weather.

but when i slow down to around 50ish the temp shoots back down the normel.

there shouldnt be a problem with colling i have a viscouse fan and cowling and a backup electric fan for when im towing.

anyone have a clue?

oh and a uprated intercooler which adds to the cooling doesnt it.

cheer

sam

Got any water in it? Not trying to be smart, but I had a teeny tiny leak on a jubilee clip a while ago, that dropped the level in the rad about 2-3 inches and it made a noticeable difference to the temp in warm weather... (v8 though, not diesel.) :)

james: new thermostat.

quagmire: thinking of it, my theromostat housing has a little leek. my slealent did not work properly when i put the head back on

the water is fine i keep topping it up.. i will have a look at that..

cheers

sam

remove,clean the temp sender connection & check the wiring on back of the temp gauge is in good condition, also check the wiring in the engine bay from the sender hasn't chaffed through the plastic covering & it's not earthing out which would make the gauge rise to hot.

I would check that your viscous fan bearing is working. We had a similar problem with dads 300tdi 90 last year and it was the viscous fan bearing which wasnt getting stiff enough to make the fan work effectively enough to disipate the increased engine heat at 60 compared to 50.

cheers

Ryck

A 200Tdi won't need any fan at all when not towing, I drove 100 miles on the motorway today at 60mph in the current hot weather and the gauge never moved off normal.

I would first check the gauge isn't lieing to you, as Western says check for chafing or shorts and clean the connections.

If it is telling you the truth then a good service of the cooling system may be in order, more so you can check everything methodically than to actually 'service' it.

Check:

1. Thermostat & housing
  2. All the pipes (internally)
  3. Radiator (flush it through)
  4. Water pump

Something must be preventing it from operating correctly if it's getting too hot in this country.

my 200 did this all the time also had a fairly new rad fitted. tryed sender unit thermostat all sorts, in final desperation i got a new allisport rad now on a roads and motorways it is spot on 78 all the time they are a lot off money but you get what you pay for.

I would check that your viscous fan bearing is working.

Worth a check anyway, but at 50mph I would doubt that the fan is contributing much to the airflow through the radiator...

So: My thoughts were as others above - sender wiring, coolant level etc.. But (and I may be wrong here) isn't there also a voltage stabiliser in the instrument cluster that ensures that the temp and fuel gauges are unaffected by main system voltage? If so then that (or it's connections) could be a possibility, but I would do the easier checks first :)

got my rad from peterborough show last year it was about 300 pounds or around about that. i dont like to keep a record of what i have spent and how much things cost, it would do my head in and if the wife found out it would not be good.

got my rad from peterborough show last year it was about 300 pounds or around about that. i dont like to keep a record of what i have spent and how much things cost, it would do my head in and if the wife found out it would not be good.

Check for excessive pressure in the cooling system. Remove rad cap when engine is stone cold, there should be no escape of pressure, well maybe a slight hiss, but not a massive escape of air/gurgling. If this is the case suspect head gasket.

I've just changed my engine and for some reason the new engine runs a few degrees cooler, not sure why?

Mark