Td5 Adjustable shock mounts +2 to +8"

simonr

Next week, I'm taking my 110 to play in the sand. I had previously made some nice, simple extended shock mounts out of folded plate. When I came to fit them however, they wouldn't because of where the fuel filter is mounted on a Td5. It seems that is a problem with most after-market shock mounts - that you have to move the filter. But I was struggling to see where to move it to without re-plumbing the whole thing!

I set about designing something which would allow me to fit a variety of shocks that would clear both the fuel filter and the ribbing on the sides of the rear tub - and this is what I came up with.

First of all on the kitchen table:

post-74-127574501024_thumb.jpg

Then this morning I fitted them - and was pleased how well they clear everything and are compatible with the longest shocks you can buy without a lottery win!

post-74-127574509549_thumb.jpg post-74-127574511152_thumb.jpg post-74-127574514927_thumb.jpg

Although I made these for myself, rather than as a 'product' I am wondering how many people off-road Td5's and whether they have suffered with this problem? Is it worth turning it into a manufacturable product?

The reason for the adjustment stems from a day off-roading in Wales using +5" shocks. One of them bent double - making it less than useful. I had a 250 mile drive home - and the only replacement shock I could lay my hands on was +2", but it was too short for the mountings. I thought, wouldn't it be useful if they were adjustable? It also means that one mount is suitable for a vast range of shocks. The first version of these were fitted to my yellow 90 - but they were just too complicated and would have been too expensive to make. These, however are much simpler!

The top mounting on these is adaptable to both traditional rubber bush shocks as well as rose-jointed ones like FoxShox.

Si

Si,

I think there should definitly be a market for them.

I wonder whether it might also be worth investigating if you could produce a version to take pin-pin shocks, as I believe part of the problem with long shocks on land rovers is the eye-pin mounting...

Just a thought

Cheers

Mark

I'm not at all convinced by the argument for pin-pin shocks. I suspect they have become common simply because it's easier to make a cheap mounting for them.

People have claimed that it's the offset angle as you articulate that causes the rings to be pulled off. In my experience however, it's down to the shocks being too long for the mountings and acting as a bump-stop. This over-loads the welds which eventually fracture.

The shocks pictured are 15" travel, (+6") ring-ring type. I would have preferred ring-pin, but they were what I had. This means that the bottom has an adaptor which raises the whole thing by 40mm. When the axle is touching the bump stop, there is 15mm travel remaining. It shows you that for +6", you need significantly raised mounts. I have seen people using +6 shocks with +2 mounts, complaining that the ends fall off and blaming the shocks.

These would provide a nice easy mounting for 14" and 16" Fox Shocks which due to the ends are tricky on a standard Land Rover.

Si

When I fitted longer shocks to mine I had to move the filter - but I did it without needing to undo the pipes. There was just enough flex.

I used Gwyn's 3 position pin to pin mounts. I notice that he now does a kit to move the filter across.

Details of my bodge here!

Looks good. Had enough slack inmy 90 pipes to use Gwyn lewis mounts

if they can be made cheaply enough IRO£60, then yes they'll sell all day long

That's the kind of price I'm hoping for - but it will depend what sort of quotes I get for mass production.

I'm using 15" procomp shocks with them. Do you know if anyone does a ring-pin shock with 17" travel?

Si

Si

Love 'em :)

FWIW My take on these is the classic "Could / can I be bothered to make them for what your asking" type question.

This sort of thing is easily "Fabbable" by many who have even the most basic fabbing skills, but

and its key - if the price is keen can / would they be bothered or just stomp up the few £s and save time ?

I think these are another potential winner for X Eng, esp if the price is right, which it sounds as though its dooable

and I think many then will do the "I could make them - but frankly I just can't be a***d for that amount of money:) "

Also cos there from X eng they will fit 1st time too :)

All in all Nice, price right and another winner, and not just for TD5 ?? Wouldn't they fit all 90s ?

its just the TD5 has that damned filter issue ?

HTH

Nige

PS

Could one possibly pull ones finger out and design something for the front end other

than 3 Link (scared myself ****less - have passed on that) - would really appreciate it Si :P:lol:

Thanks Nigel,

Of course they would fit any 90/110/127 - it's just Td5's that have the fuel filter in an unhelpful place which makes it a bit more difficult.

I'm quite pleased with these - they took a couple of goes to get the right clearance etc.

I would have been happy just to buy some - but unfortunately since the demise of my Orange friends, nobody seems to make anything for really long shocks.

I really like Gwyn Lewis's stuff - but I wanted to fit longer shocks than his allow - so making my own seemed the best option!

I have looked at a number of front flex solutions - the trouble is the cost makes the market too small to be sustainable. Personally I just don't think the cost justifies the performance when you can get 80% as much for almost no cost!

The best bang-for-your-buck is just to make your own slotted bushes for the hockey sticks by drilling through the rubber.

The next product is going to be X-Deflex - an unlockable anti-roll bar, initially for 110's. It has 4 x the torsional stiffness of a standard bar, but when unlocked, gives you 16" of unrestricted travel. It's made my 110 quite fun to drive!

I've also been experimenting with a totally different type of locking diff which will allow you to dial up the amount of slip from a knob in the cab. Initial experiments look rather promising. If the slip mechanism works as well as I hope, it could be applied to other things like PTO's where a variable torque is useful.

Si

Si, got to have. Looks like you've hit on several winning ideas again. If you need a pre release guinea pig let me know (although I think you already did that bit).

No harm offering.

Unfortunately, the X-Floppy / X-Stiff / X-Deflex...whatever..is about two weeks away from launch having had a LOT of testing. I took a good photo today lifting the side of the truck with a forklift until a back wheel lifts off with it locked then unlocked. It shows the effect pretty well! I'll post them up tomorrow!

I had chosen X-DeFlex, because it's what it does! Open to other suggestions though! I'm not sure X-Stiff has the right associations ph34r.gif. Then again.......wink.gif.

There is still a long way to go with the difflock in terms of working out how much reaction torque is required to be useful - then seeing if it will deliver. I have a feeling it's biggest application may be racing - being able to tweak the slip from the cab would be handy.

Si

Si.... I'll be on for an X-Deflex when available having seen the version you were modelling in Wales ! :)

Neil

That's great!

My plan is to put it in the New Products section of the mags which come out in mid July coinciding with a main launch at Billing. Since my 110 has pretty much X-everything fitted, I'll take it this time and make some sort of display out of it!

Si

Boy that difflock sounds interesting! Have for a long time been pondering the idea of making a difflock using the clutchplate system off, say a motorcycle. Not for a limited slip difflock, but to avoid the ever annoying "drag" of an ARB/KAM-locker. There is nothing worse than having to turn right after using difflock, and the bloody thing simply won't turn 'cause the locker/lockers are hanging due to the twist. This could be avoided if using the clutch principle. Not saying it is doable, but it would be nice if it was.