Pedal Lock

SiWhite

There are a few threads about pedal lock systems but most have turned into general security discussions.

I'm considering buying one of These... This will be in addition to a few other bits of security kit, and is designed to make a thief think that mine would be too much like hard work and move onto another :P

Has anyone used one? Are they easy to get on and off? Has anyone's wagon been broken into with one of these fitted?

If I get one I'll do a bit of a forum review.

i'm going over to see this guy in the next week or so and he's offered 10% off...

if your not in a hurry i can get you one, save you 10% and post it to you (or relay). Not sure what postage and package would be but royal mail standard parcels is £7.06 for 4kg.

Up to you. If you want me to take a look at one and take a shed load of pictures let me know.

Simon,

I have one, it has not been tested but I think you would find it very difficult to get it off, short of a big disk cutter or cutting torch, but if you were going to go to that level to take it then I don't think much would stop you.

It takes about 30 seconds to put on so I don't use it ever time I stop, but if I am leaving the Landy for a couple of hours or overnight etc. As you know the Landy is Mrs S's daily drive now and she uses it without any trouble, only issue I have with it if anything is the size, it can get in the way and clang around.

The one I have is slightly diffrent as I have A/C can't remember if you have A/C if you did you would need to check, I would recomend them but not as a single measure as you know I have a few layers of security.

Jason.

Wonder where you could purchase the locks from....? Could knock one of these up myself and use it as an excuse to practice with the welder!

The Locks are shutter locks, you can buy them from most places....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/90mm-shutter-lock-for-ground-locks-security-posts-etc-/180505715476?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item2a06faa314

Mine only has a bit of welding, most of it is folding which unless you had a big press break would not be easy....

Mine only has a bit of welding, most of it is folding which unless you had a big press break would not be easy....

You could cut sheets and weld them at the right angle avoiding the need to fold anything. Probably not worth my time, but as i say would give me something to practice welding on.

That pedal lock looks a lot better than one I bought years ago...

It only locked on one end, so you could lever the other end open (2mm-ish steel) with a screwdriver enough to slide it off the pedals. :(

Might have to treat myself to one.

Jason,

Sorry about that I did see another one on screwfix's website but that was a lot more expensive than the e-bay link and I've just realised that the one I put the link to is brass and not steel as obviously it would need to be welded into place like the one on the picture

John

I can't speak out for the products in this thread, but last year I invested in a ClutchClaw as a reaction to the number of Defenders that were dissappearing.

Both the one at the top of this thread and ClutchClaw inhibit the ability to drive the vehicle away. I've not had an attack on my vehicle yet, so no idea if it does what it says on the tin, but I feel happier about my truck securty and would like to think I have a truck even if any would-be thieves do a bit of damage in their initial attempts.

I think any obvious additional security is a must in the current climate.

Neil

There are a few threads about pedal lock systems but most have turned into general security discussions.

I'm considering buying one of These... This will be in addition to a few other bits of security kit, and is designed to make a thief think that mine would be too much like hard work and move onto another :P

Has anyone used one? Are they easy to get on and off? Has anyone's wagon been broken into with one of these fitted?

If I get one I'll do a bit of a forum review.

Well i have one of these the mk1 type, excellent bits of kit, i added the end plate myself. My truck was broken into one night but at least the truck was undriveable.

Keith

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense (I normally am... :unsure: ) but how do these devices attach to the pedals?

Does the vertical part of the brake pedal arm actually go inside the padlock?....so that you sort of put it in place, open the lock, slide the entire thing sideways a little, then close and lock the padlock?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense (I normally am... unsure.gif ) but how do these devices attach to the pedals?

Does the vertical part of the brake pedal arm actually go inside the padlock?....so that you sort of put it in place, open the lock, slide the entire thing sideways a little, then close and lock the padlock?

Yes, sort of the padlock/shutter lock goes around the brake pedal shaft, you drop the lock over the pedals, slide it right and then lock the lock.

Cheers, Jason.

Thanks Jason - it's all now very clear :D

I currently use a Mk1 disklock that also uses this type of shutter padlock.

It's a real pain to store when it's not in use due to it's size and shape.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to knock something like the pedal lock and use my existing padlock.

I can feel a weekend project coming on........

I can't speak out for the products in this thread, but last year I invested in a ClutchClaw as a reaction to the number of Defenders that were dissappearing.

Both the one at the top of this thread and ClutchClaw inhibit the ability to drive the vehicle away. I've not had an attack on my vehicle yet, so no idea if it does what it says on the tin, but I feel happier about my truck securty and would like to think I have a truck even if any would-be thieves do a bit of damage in their initial attempts.

I think any obvious additional security is a must in the current climate.

Neil

We've had one of these since the early '00s:

P1030377-350.jpg

It's whoppingly heavy (I wonder if it counts as an illegal weapon - some MagLites do), and seems to work pretty well. I haven't bothered using it in ages, they don't really steal old Rangies over here.