Seals, Which way round?

Which way round should the rear transfer box output flange seal go?

Spring into the oil or spring out of the oil ? and does this apply to all seals ?

no specualtion please. I don't want to do this again....for the third time :P

Can't find the answer in the book or by google.

Thanks i saw that earlier.

Is that the certified triple AAA guaranteed way of putting in seals? Seems like springs always go to the oil ?

You think they'd put it on the packet.......

Does this actually appear in a manual anywhere? (i do trust you,,,i'm just astounded its not written !)

TA

At work there are always arguements as some seals go in 'wet' and others 'dry', then in other cases a certain type of seal will fit in anothers housing but not vice versa. :lol:

G

Sad I know but I was told years ago :

"Spring in to the rescue and oils well"

But, not as sad as :

"Righty Tighty and Lefty Loosey"

for which way when your upside down under a 4x4 hand in stupid position and your brain completely

disoriented goes "Er which way is undone / on" is a godsend :lol: although if passers by hear you they tend

to walk faster :rofl:

Well, it works in my brain, .....and theres a frightening thought :P

Nige

Thanks, this obviously comes from year of experience i don't have. :D

Just unpacked my new flange and it must have been made by a monkey....might be returing that. Its not exactly smooth. :angry:

There's a mark on one of the seal faces and there's machining grooves. What do you think, will it ruin the seal?

post-19188-127594732562_thumb.jpg

post-19188-1275947335_thumb.jpg

Just unpacked my new flange and it must have been made by a monkey....might be returing that. Its not exactly smooth. :angry:

There's a mark on one of the seal faces and there's machining grooves. What do you think, will it ruin the seal?

I had exactly the same issue with a supposed genuine Landrover item from LRSeries, couldnt be bothered faffing around with their "customer service" so stuck it in the lathe and polished the seal running surface properly.

The machining grooves are the same as on the ones I bought. I've not run the vehicle yet, but the box has been sitting full of oil for over a month and not a drop has leaked. I think the oil level comes above the lower edge of the seal, but I'm not sure. However, I don't think parallel (or very near to parallel) shallow grooves around the circumference will stop the seal working.

However, the dents are a different matter. Even if they do not cause a leak in their own right they will cause accelerated wear on the seal lip. They may or not be on the part of the shaft which actually contacts the seal, but if they are, I would return the flange and ask for a replacement, better packed next time.

Nick.

Why on earth fit poor quality parts ?

Buy decent stuff - pay a bit more and job done ?

Nige

I do, however I'd ordered and paid for a Genuine LR front output flange from LRSeries and it arrived like Neill's above with the machining marks, but also unboxed and in a clear plastic bag with no Landrover branded packaging. I emailed LRseries and told them I'd ordered Genuine and that I'd recieved something of lesser quality, "no problem send it back and we'll send you another out". Which arrived having been personally 'checked' by LR Series but again same quality-same machining marks, clear plastic bagged however in the correct BUT opened and 'checked' Landrover packaging.

Couldnt be bothered to email them again and return it for an unopened box. Dont bother using LR Series now.

• 2 weeks later...

So it tuns out all the output flanges from Britpart are just the same. I've arranged a refund. Hopefully i can get a used part from somewhere. As i'm off for a drive today with the pited one fitted i hope i don't loose too much oil. :angry: