Salisbury axel drum removal

Trying to get the drums off my salisbury rear axel, the workshop manual says you remove 1 screw, Is it a counter sunk screw or a grub type screw? if its the latter, i fear the head had been broken off the one I have...

cheers

M8 x 16mm long according to this Brit-car link

Ok, I don't have a picture, but ther was 2 holes in the drum. one hole was flush that was about 5 mm deep, the other hole was counter sunk with what looked like a grub type affair in it, I'm guessing it is either the remains of a broken flat head screw, or indeed a grub screw, but from the track record of the car so far it will be the former.

Trying to get the drums off my salisbury rear axel, the workshop manual says you remove 1 screw, Is it a counter sunk screw or a grub type screw? if its the latter, i fear the head had been broken off the one I have...

cheers

If the countersunk head has broken off, then the drum should come off - have you slackened the brakes shoes right off? If not it'll be a b****r to remove.

AWEM

If the countersunk head has broken off, then the drum should come off - have you slackened the brakes shoes right off? If not it'll be a b****r to remove.

AWEM

one of the problems in the first place was the rear brakes didn't seem to be contributing much to stopping!... so no need for any more adjustment, and true it should just "fall" off. I wasn't quite thinking, guess it will need to have a meeting with mr lead hammer, the drive flange hadn't been removed for some time and oil stank that came out of it. I'm hopeing the pads haven't worn too much and damged the drum... but I am suspecting the worst.

Ok, I don't have a picture, but ther was 2 holes in the drum. one hole was flush that was about 5 mm deep, the other hole was counter sunk with what looked like a grub type affair in it, I'm guessing it is either the remains of a broken flat head screw, or indeed a grub screw, but from the track record of the car so far it will be the former.

there's a threaded hole for a bolt to help ease the drum off, don't remember the thread size for it now.

there's a threaded hole for a bolt to help ease the drum off, don't remember the thread size for it now.

The thread is the same as that drum securing screw you can't get out. You are supposed to remove that screw from it's countersunk hole, where the female thread is in the hub flange, and put the screw in the un-countersunk hole, where the thread is in the drum, and the end of the screw bears against the hub flange. The snag is the screw is too short to be fully effective. It only works if the drum is stuck to the hub flange, when a short movement will free it off. Where the drum is dragging over the brake shoes the screw is not long enough.

In its place an M10 coach bolt works fine, and has enough length of thread to draw the drum of the full width of the shoes. Just nip the coach bolt up until it binds, this will very slightly tilt the drum. Hit the drum on the opposite side to remove the tilt. The coach bolt will now tighten a bit more, so nip it up again, then repeat the hit on the opposite side of the drum.

Repeat until the drum falls on the floor.

HTH