A level design tech project

series3100

Hi all,

I'm about to start my design technology A level course which is design and make in resistant materials: Wood, metals and plastics. My college has a fairly well kitted out workshop, great metal work anyway - for wood based stuff I'm better off in my dad's workshop so the option are open although I'm more inclined to go down the metals route for this project.

Basically unlike AS level I'm not given a brief, I can design and make what I like so long as I find a potential client(s). Fairly soon I have to come up with a brief consisting of a problem to be solved or a scenario of some kind, infact it doesn't have to be a problem as such more of just 'here is this space and it needs x to go there to do x, y and z'. You get the idea.

Here are a few of the ideas I have: (bare in mind it has to be complicated enough to show I have various skills and problem solving abilities but must also consider I don't have infinite time or space so can't go and build a 20' boat trailer!)

-High mount heavy duty bumper, possibly a winch bumper, was thinking incorporate some kind of lights too.

-Light bar (I think this is too strait forward unless there was some interesting innovation)

-Secure cubby box

-Dash console

-Heavy duty rear cross member with various recovery points etc.

-Rock sliders

Does anyone have any suggestions of possible projects? Ideas for innovations? Or anything they want to add in general? What do you think of the above ideas?

Just throw ideas around please...

I must add this is in no way cheating or anything, it's advised that I find a potential client(s) to come up with a possible product to design and make then I add pictures and things along the way and ask for feedback etc. Could be quite interesting for both me and anyone who wishes to be involved in this thread.

Also all of the above items have already been made before obviously, this is ok so long as I design and make my own with my own little slant.

Hope this is ok with moderators and stuff?

Thanks in advance, Brian

Brian,

I am looking around for a storage system for the back of my 110 at the moment, Kind of down the Mobile Storage Systems type thing. I know it's not as juciy as a winch bumper but could involve all sorts of materials and types of fabrication and I think there is a glut in the market for them with only one supplier all be it a great supplier they are very expensive.

Jason.

-High mount heavy duty bumper, possibly a winch bumper, was thinking incorporate some kind of lights too.

-Light bar (I think this is too strait forward unless there was some interesting innovation)

-Secure cubby box

-Dash console

-Rock sliders

Hi,

Out of the above I would choose the rear crossmember and incorporate, recovery points, winch etc as there are not many products on the market, most rear winch bumper are for competition use and incorporate mountings for 8274's. Maybe design it around an everyday commuter vehicle. The others items are already on the market and I guess you would need to improve them in some way to justify your idea.

Steve

Hi Brian

Something I have been after for a while now is a Raised Air Intake for a Range Rover P38. I have been looking on the net for some time now and nobody makes one. If you could design and produce a large quantity you could make a fortune ££££

I'm on the lookout for something similar to the Mantec product for loads in the rear of a 110. Similar homemade version found on this thread on Defender 2 in the third post down. Fairly simple, but certainly something you could add some nice touches to.

Quite willing to be a client if required ;)

-Secure cubby box

-Dash console

-Rock sliders

Hi Brian,

A rear winch bumper/ crossmember replacement would be very useful for me.

But a complete redesign of the front dash area would be a challenge, to include the original vents, radio/CD player, cb radio multiple 12v sockets, an area for additional switches, good demisting, sound and heat proofing, (I've got a 3.9 efi and its never quiet or cold in my cab !) and storage.

An other option would to find a way of using some of the unused space in the front and rear wings for extra storage for the stuff that seems to accumilate inside any land rover .

let us know what you decide to do ...

regards,

Les

Does anyone have any suggestions of possible projects? Ideas for innovations? Or anything they want to add in general? What do you think of the above ideas?

Just throw ideas around please...

Pedal/steering/gearbox lock.

Double internal beadlock rims

Propshaft DIY kit to be able to make to own lengths via threaded section cut back to length etc

and then welded up

Winch Rope layering gizmo worm system to stop wire criss crossing on wrecking itself

On Board CTS system for Land rovers

V8 Header and Y Piece system 4-2-1 and big bore tubework

Single Phase small folding pres that could bend say 36" x 6mm plate but be small workshop freindly

Single Pahse same as above but a guillotrine that would shear 36" x 6mm plate

All of the above are marketable IMHO If priced right

HTH

Nige

I'd go with a LR specific security device of some sort which would be highly marketable, easy to make and simple in concept. (don't over complicate it).

Something like the pedal box is a good starting point, but obviously already done. Although that doesn't stop some people :ph34r:

Stick with metal and minimise the electronic content to avoid reliablilty issues.

Brief should be, security device, easy fit, shouldn't take too much storage space, can be fitted by weaklings without degree in engineering, cannot be removed by geoff capes with degree in engineering. :)

any good?

Pete

How about a hi lift mount?

one that can be secured, but still keep the jack able to be accessed easily.

oh and some sort of weather protection for the gubbins would be a bonus.

BTW I was one of the first in the country to take design and technology back in the 70s. I built a glassfibre swivel chair.

So the feedback is:

Leave the education system and start making Land Rover bits......... there is a market for them, the only issue you will have is you will spend a year developing the concept and then someone will come along and rip off your design and sell it for half the price...

Jason.

Ok - how about a secure box for LapTops and small items. It needs to be secure in itself but mounted somewhere where you can get the PC in and out easily. It either needs to be securely mounted or camouflaged (hidden in plain sight).

Perhaps it could be hidden in a dummy water tank, a Gerry can - or maybe just bolted to something.

This involves a number of skills, but the fabrication is straightforward. It's also highly useful and practical.

Si

A agree with the dash idea, the defender dash isn't all that complicated as standard(on older vehicles), I have removed and replaced one, so I cannot be that difficult! Perhaps an up-rated dash, following the same contours of the older ones (not like the new defender dashes), using harder wearing and more cosmetically attractive materials. Re-design could include greater storage solutions, more room for additional equipment/gauges/switches etc. Blade fuse box perhaps, less use of brittle plastic.. that sort of thing! Hope the project goes well. I am a student as well and wish I could do this on my course, sadly real estate has little to do with land rovers! Sam

We run a number of minibuses with wheelchair access lifts on the back. Specifically on the Iveco chassis it sticks out some way and they get knocked on speed bumps etc... which causes costly repairs.

We run about 20 minibuses on the Iveco chassis. Someone who could design and manufacture a guard to fit under the tail-lift and protect it, mounted to the chassis, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I have not seen these commercially available and a lot of councils use the exact same vehicles as us, as do other operators taking special needs clients. So there is commercial potential.

So if you are interested in something non-Landrover based...

This is needed by a business so you'd have a guarenteed client. :)

Brian,

I am looking around for a storage system for the back of my 110 at the moment, Kind of down the Mobile Storage Systems type thing. I know it's not as juciy as a winch bumper but could involve all sorts of materials and types of fabrication and I think there is a glut in the market for them with only one supplier all be it a great supplier they are very expensive.

Jason.

A really innovative storage system would be great for the likes of us who need to fit all of our camping gear, food and a greyhound in the back of our 90 Hardtop when we go away. Something to make the most of the space above the wheel arches leaving plenty of space for the dog would be ace!

JB

Single Phase small folding pres that could bend say 36" x 6mm plate but be small workshop freindly

Single Pahse same as above but a guillotrine that would shear 36" x 6mm plate

Just love your 'Metrinches' Nige :lol:

thats nowt,

My dad used to moan at me cos they didnt teach the imperial system in school when i was there, then id pick itt up a bit n then the teachers would moan cos "you cant measure like that" & now im back to the imperial system, hell i can even add up my 1/8s & 5/8s now.......

I use imperial almost exclusively, just find it easier. I was taught Metric in school, but at home my dad etc. always used English measurements :)

I think any security device for Land Rover has a market if it's effective, so that's where I'd be looking.

Thank you everyone for you're replies, some great things to think about already. Tomorrow I have to take a list of several ideas to discuss with the teacher and amongst the class. I will get back to you tomorrow with further thoughts.

Very much appreciated!

Brian

I see job applicants all the time who show me their A level projects, plus I talk to college lecturers about course content and project marking. I would recomend something that has a good amount of design variation for you to look at and develop, plus something that could be applicable to different markets in the furture. My top recomendations would be:

Dash board console: There's a market for these, plus there's plenty of design development in researching the components that fit into it, how it will mount to the vehicle, creating some modular aspect so that you can have different bits of equipment within the same housing. Could be made from several different materials showing your versitility. Also has a styling aspect to show your artistic flair!

Centre cubby: Again, big market, plenty of different things that can be stored and housed to research. Again different materials could be used and styling involved.

Security device: a Landrover specific system would have a huge market, but still be transferable to other models. Research and development is vast, looking at different ways of disabling the vehicle, ease of removal, storage, weight, etc. This would not have such a styling aspect and probably would only be steel. Probably would appeal more to the A level markers as a genuine need (you could research how many Landrovers are stolen each year etc).

Once again thank you very much to everyone for there input, You're good people here... :)

The good news is I'v got it down to 2 ideas i want to develop, bad news is I have many more ideas due to this thread in my head now meaning even more projects to nibble at my cash in the near future :unsure:

2 ideas I have are a (very) secure cubby box and a mighty strong rear winch cross member.

I'm tempted by the rear cross member, I suddenly had an outburst of ideas and think I'v come up with what could be developed into a nice design including 2 revolving recovery shackles, 2 built in lights (something along the lines of a GU5.3 bulb) and obviously the winch but. Someone mentioned how most rear winch cross members aren't designed for the more hobby type winches so this would defiantly be part of the brief. Oh it'll also have a quick(ish) release drop plate so you're not left with a winch but no towing abilities.

Does anyone have a winch they want to donate to a worthy design? ;)

I'll keep updating you with progress.

Brian