lr dealer rip off

dubtike

bit of a school essay, but here goes

i drove my 01 freelander to the lr dealer with the aul mayonnaise prob. :(

after asking the guy on the desk about repairing it, he said i might need a new engine. :o

the mech came out to me after talking with the desk guy, took off the oil cap (after going to the wrong side for the bonnet release) looked at the cap and said 'its a new engine, this ones dead' he never switched it on or checked anything else. went inside to the service manager and without any words being exchanged, he said 5000+ euro for a new engine. :blink:

is this normal procedure for l.r.? <_<

now a month later with the intake manifold gasket changed, oil and coolant changed and flushed, k-seal added. the leak is gone.

now, the oil pump is working, so is the water pump. what else could have caused the hg to go and why was it still driving perfect if the engine was 'dead'

Main dealers are not interested in mechanical repairs, they are parts fitters - and in this case the only part they can fit which cures the problem is a new engine. By the time you've paid main dealer labour rates to do a full HG job, which may then fail again if the owner has cooked the engine, they may as well fit a new engine. It's an easier life for them as it's guaranteed to work, and with the silly price there's the hope you'll either either buy a new car from them or go away and stop bothering them.

it worked anyway cos i wont be going back to em. i couldnt even go to another one cos the next nearest dealer is bout 70 miles away. any ideas what else could have caused it to go fridgefreezer

It's a 1.8 K-series, they pretty much all do that - it's been well covered on here and many other places. If you have fitted the uprated head gasket kit with steel dowels and thermostat relocation kit it should be fine, as long as the engine didn't suffer damage due to the failure.