Alternator problems

Hi

the last alternator i had stopped working and on further investigation the wire from the battery had decided to weld itself to the casing of the alternator and subisquently it stopped working.

I got a second hand alternator from a 300Tdi Disco with air con (120A i think) i had to change the pully over to get the belt to fit as the one on the end was bigger.

The alternator was kicking out 14.3A of juice to the batteries when i tested it at home, Ideal problem solved i thought.

At the next event i went to a week later the battery warning light came on and upon checking the alternator it had stopped working.

Is there something in my loom thats caused it to go wrong (cant think of anything) or was i just unlucky with the one i bought?

Thanks

Tris

Im keen to see what the others think. I have had a few problems myself of late. You don't mention anything about fuses going so I suppose that they are not blowing. I was advised to check the loom where it goes over the chassis at the back where it goes to the tail lights and tow elec. plug.Is the battery not perhaps shorting on the battery box cover?

my towing electrics were shorting out on mine a while ago it was the grey plug and was sending current back to the alternator causing them to blow. i would say check towing electrics first especially if there is any slight damage to the plugs

Hi

the last alternator i had stopped working and on further investigation the wire from the battery had decided to weld itself to the casing of the alternator and subisquently it stopped working.

I got a second hand alternator from a 300Tdi Disco with air con (120A i think) i had to change the pully over to get the belt to fit as the one on the end was bigger.

The alternator was kicking out 14.3A of juice to the batteries when i tested it at home, Ideal problem solved i thought.

At the next event i went to a week later the battery warning light came on and upon checking the alternator it had stopped working.

Is there something in my loom thats caused it to go wrong (cant think of anything) or was i just unlucky with the one i bought?

Thanks

Tris

hi, on mine i have a earth wire off alternator bracket to chassis, 200tdi, is your earth intact, defender dinky

its the regulator that will have gone and my towing electrics were both actually there was some bare wires where the cables ran across the cross member and the socket was crushed