Power Take off for Range 4 Speed Gearbox

Hey guys,

We have a 1972 Range Rover Classic on portals that we use to compete in the rhino charge in Kenya. Been finding that electrical winches are a pain ... is there anyway to get a power take off for the Range's 4 Speed gearbox (I think its the LT95 box) so that we can run a PTO winch?

All thoughts, suggestions most welcome as always!

Many thanks,

Crank-drive offers more flexibility if you have room for that.

The RR gearbox has a PTO hole, and was used in the 101FC so there may well be a PTO for it out there. Overdrives for it (which bolt into the PTO hole) are reasonably common and go for around £100 last I saw, so that could provide the basis for a PTO unit.

Yes

LT95 have 2 x types of PTO take of the rare as hell DROP PTO used to run the front winch,

I spent 8 years hunting one of these for the old hybrid and sold it for a fortune :)

And the other is a rear face PTO which ends up with a Prop 4 bolt flange, it would be possible to then adapter up something to bolt a Hydro pump etc, these are more common, about the size of a small bowling ball, and go for £200 +

Happy hunting

Nige

Crank-drive offers more flexibility if you have room for that.

The RR gearbox has a PTO hole, and was used in the 101FC so there may well be a PTO for it out there. Overdrives for it (which bolt into the PTO hole) are reasonably common and go for around £100 last I saw, so that could provide the basis for a PTO unit.

Thanks Fridge - How would the Crank Drive work? If it links directly to the engine with no gears or clutch, hw would one control it if the engine was running?

Yes

LT95 have 2 x types of PTO take of the rare as hell DROP PTO used to run the front winch,

I spent 8 years hunting one of these for the old hybrid and sold it for a fortune :)

And the other is a rear face PTO which ends up with a Prop 4 bolt flange, it would be possible to then adapter up something to bolt a Hydro pump etc, these are more common, about the size of a small bowling ball, and go for £200 +

Happy hunting

Nige

Thanks Nige ... not sure the second option would work - we seem to manage to break a lot of stuff out there and the more complex smething is the more likely to go wrong ... Will hunt for the drop pto but like you said ... its expensive. Only one found so far is in Aussie and he wants a kings ransom for it!

May just end up going for a hydraulic winch instead ...

You could always put the later Santana/LT230 in place of the 4sp , plenty of pto winch kits around for that set up , or as FF suggests , a crank driven Hyd pump and a Hyd winch , with the crank drive its possible with the right winch/motor set up to get drive-assist.

hth

Steveb