on board air

hi i am looking to put on board air on my 110 300 tdi and have got hold of a denso compressor from a 300 disco.will this be suitable to convert for this purpose?i am thinking of getting a non running mains compressor to use for the tank and unloader valve etc.have looked in tech archive it has spurred me on,thanks steve

I have been running one of these for several years now to power air suspension amoung other things.

The first compressor only failed earlier this year.

What actually killed it in the end was corrosion in the internal valves which meant it was running longer and harder to provide the air and eventually it siezed up.

I only had a small breather styly filter on the intake, if you run a better air dryer style filter ideally with an oiler then it should last indefinately but as I got the compressor from e-bay for £40 and have another spare in stock I haven't got round to sorting this out.

I too am using the Denso compressor, on a serpentine V8. Used for tyre inflation, air horns and general air line use, it's been there for 3 years or so with no trouble. It's plumbed into a RRC air suspension receiver.

Mickyw,

The $64,000,000 question appears to be what have you done to provide lubrication for the compressor? Please tell us!

Nick.

Errrm, pretty much bu***r all. I gave it a squirt from an oil can when I first started using the pump for air. The air came out a little oily at first, so I added a cheapo inline filter to my airline. These day I tend to get a fair bit of moisture out of it. If I'm going to pump up a tyre I give the line a blast before connecting to the valve to remove excess wet stuff.

So all in all I don't really look after it at all well :o

I know others who have added drip oilers in the air inlet, and then fitted a oil separator to the outlet to help prolong its life.

• 1 month later...

I took my Denso compressor to pieces at the weekend (I needed to mend the connections to the clutch coil, which had been severed). It was pretty oily inside. This site shows that it's a swash plate piston compressor but there appear to be several rubberised components inside which probably won't benefit from being in long term contact with mineral oil.

The oil inside was colourless and the sticker on the outside says "use only ND Oil 8". Some internet research reveals that this is the same as PAG 46 which seems to be widely available on e-bay etc. (PAG is Poly Alkalene Glycol, 46 is presumably the viscosity grade.)

I'll be fitting mine with an inline oiler on the inlet, and buying some PAG 46 to fill the oiler with. I'll decide what level of filtration is required on the outlet when I get it running.

Nick.

I am running a Denso on a 300TDI Defender and its been there for two years without any issues - admittedly I do only use it for airing up the tyres but I do run 35" tyres at 2 psi so it has allot of work to do pumping up all 4 to 30psi.

I use an oiler from a compressor (Clark job) set to max lubrication so it really sends some lube through the air con pump, it is filled with air con lubricant supplied by local re-gas agent (This could be the PAG 46 stuff) and I then remove the oil with a filter at the tank end. I run the compressor with the oiler until the air tank is full then I change a valve over to disconnect the oiler and draw air from the open to air up all 4 tyres, so I only use the oiler at the beginning then I disconnect it. The oiler causes a restriction so it actually works better without it but I wanted the pump to last a while so decided to lubricate the pump manually. I have heard lots of people do run them without any type of lubrication and they do seem to last a few years I was just hoping mine might last a little longer. The ideal solution would be as most people have said is an small inline oiler that drip feeds the compressor but doesn't cause the restriction that my full blown oiler does.

I copied the idea off the forum from the links posted by western although obvioulsy used the Denso compressor I then bought a small 6 litre air compressor from a DIY store and took the motor and pump off and connected this to the feed from the air con compressor wired the switch to the electric clutch and I have to say it works brilliantly!!!!!! I wasn't quite prepared for how much air it actually pumps out I really don't think you will be dissapointed. I'm sure if I fitted a bigger tank it would easily run air tools.

Wow that sound complicated. I just run a York. Filled it with oil 7 years ago and it is still full.... Runs at 140 psi continuous and never complains.

I was told these things are amazing and that they push out that much air you can run air tools without the need for a tank!

Always fancied one but they were ridiculous money when I was looking for one, have you got any pics of where it's installed in your truck? I always thought they looked huge and couldn't get my head around where it could be mounted easily.

They are big, which is the hardest part. Mine is a 200TDI and mounts where the air con compressor would go. Around here (Canada) you can grab one at any breakers for $25. Common in Volvos and older Ford cars.

They run around 12 cfm at 90 psi when running at their maximum continuous speed of 4000 rpm.

• 4 months later...

There are guys that open and modify Sandens to run with grease. They replace the one plug in the crank part of the compressor with a grease nipple. Further, they will open the head and block a small hole of about 5mm with a screw. This hole lets oil trough.

Here is the link how this Aussie did the setup with a Patrol 4.2 diesel

http://www.grungle.com/endlessair.html

I tried contacting Red90 Has any body else squeezed a York under a Defender bonnet? I can get my hands on one, but want to know if it will fit between the mounting and the bonnet. This is on a 300 Tdi with no aircon