impact drivers

Badger90

evening,

i have been digging around to find a impact gun with 1/2 drive for a number for weeks.

i had my mind set on a snap-on 18v gun but the prices are hurrendas, i also found that sealey do a 19.4v wich has the same spec as the snap-on.

but i hvae just found a make call Milwaukee that does a impact gun?

has anyone had a any expearence with any on this impact drivers? if so your views would be great please.

for the snap £550 is about £200 over my price range, but i know with snap on you get what you payfor.

but this Milwaukee make looks pretty good to me,

the Milaukee gun

the Sealey gun

the Snap-on gun

cheers

sam

okay.. so all good thoughts on the sealy and milwalkee.

im pretty kean for thew milwalkee but that not as powerfull and more expensive are the sealy 19.4v

but the 4 pole motor sound good..

tedsmart: do you get milwalkee's of the tinternet then?

cheers

sam

I've just bought one in the States for $42 £30!!!!!

$8.99 at an electrical superstore for a 120 / 220 voltage converter to charge it up.

About $10 postage to get it all to a friend's house and he is sending it over for me - it will fly over with my next Rough Country delivery ( next week ) so the shipping across the pond will come to about £4.50

It is I am sure going to be crappy but for that money just to use as a nut runner once they are cracked open with a breaker bar it has got to be worth it.

18v / 150 Ft Lbs torque / 1 hour charge.

Much better ones are available for about £70 and sSnap On can be found for about £220 - once again proving that something happens to freight on its way into Britain that costs a lot! Can';t believe the last Govt can raise that much revenue and still spend a few billion more than they have!!!

David

I have this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223524

It's at the cheaper end of the scale, so I haven't expected much from it, but it's not failed me yet. The battery doesn't last very long if you do wheel nuts with it, but for normal use they're pretty good. Comes with a second one and a 1-hour charger too.

Made re-building my swivel today very easy, can have the stub axle bolts out in 30 seconds for example, and it's great for running them back in prior to re-torquing.

One of the best tools I have, combine it with a 1/2" drive 9/16" propshaft tool and a 14mm spanner, and you can have a prop off in under a minute!

I have the Dewalt 18v wrench.

This one;

http://www.powertools2u.co.uk/power-tools---cordless/cordless-impact-wrenches/dewalt-dw059k2h-18v-impact-wrench---2-x-2.6ah-nimh-batteries.htm?utm_source=PowerTools2u&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Shopping

Its very good. Very powerful and the batteries seem to last forever. Only downside i would say is it very big and heavy. Fine for removing wheel nuts and an hour or twos work. But if your inside a machine with it over your head like we quite often are, it gets heavy pretty quickly.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the snap on 3/8 and 1/2. the 1/2 is probably the best cordless impact money can buy, though somebody will disagree and say otherwise,though they can have battery woes.

As for the price,ignore snap ons website,they are generaly £280 direct from the van when on offer,though my local dealer keeps that price full time.

I have a Chinese copy of the Maplin gun (or same factory, different colours?) - the four plastic 'nuts' on the nose of the moulding are quite distinctive.

It struggles with wheel nuts if they're not cracked off with a bar first, but as a nut runner and for those specific jobs where a bolt with restricted access needs a clatter rather than skinning your knuckles where you can't get an extension in, it's priceless and I'll replace it with the same when it dies (I've had mine three years, I'd guess it comes out of the box twice a month)

I have the milwaukee one and its amazing. the power is great and the fact you can swop the battery over to balance out the weight of the gun is nice.

The only tiny lil niggle is i wish it was a fast charger but as a battery lasts me long enough on the landy (i work slow :P ) then the lack of fast charge is ok.

I have a Chinese copy of the Maplin gun (or same factory, different colours?) - the four plastic 'nuts' on the nose of the moulding are quite distinctive.

It struggles with wheel nuts if they're not cracked off with a bar first, but as a nut runner and for those specific jobs where a bolt with restricted access needs a clatter rather than skinning your knuckles where you can't get an extension in, it's priceless and I'll replace it with the same when it dies (I've had mine three years, I'd guess it comes out of the box twice a month)

Those four nuts are metal on mine :P

:D had mine out to play today and a friend was using it, he never used one before so he was changing anti roll bar links on my 90, the bolts were last tightened with a 3/4 drive air gun so kinda tight - milwaukee whipped them off like they werent there.

Friend now trying to find ways where he can justify purchase of one