Range Rover 2002 (L322 )

Jens

I have a Range Rover 2002 I want to buy, it's in a really good looking shape-

It's been serviced at dealer on time and passed MOT a few weeks back.

My only concern is the engine really, it's 4.4l V8 driven just over 200.000 km (125.000 miles).

Is that something I should worry about? And is there other reasons not to get it?

Thanks

-

Jens

No problem the BMW engine is good for a lot more than that.

I would guess that the miles were mainly clocked up on the motorway.. no real strain on the running gear.

As long as it has had regular services

Personally I don't worry about high mileage with engines these days

I've just heard petrol engines don't last that long compared to diesel and that the 100.000 miles mark is downhill for them.

I mean, my last TD5 Defender had a 120.000 miles on the clock when I got it, and it drove like a dream.

Guess a motorway driven V8 can last many years ahead if it's cared for.

They don't last as long as Diesel but there not that bad.

I had an Alfa which I took to 200,000 and a friend of mine had a P38 from new and many years later sold it @ 175,000 and as far as I'm aware it’s still going strong.

You do hear story’s of V8's not lasting much after 100,000 I'm currently running two with well over 100,000 miles and they don't show any sings of giving in just yet.

I must say that the BMW engine is a cracking engine and doesn’t have the horror stories surrounding it that the land Rover V8's do.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually your wrong the early L322 had a BMW engine taken from the 7 series BMW it was later replaced with the Jaguar engine you mentioned.

2005 saw the introduction of the Jag engine.

If you remember BMW once owned Land Rover.

Actually your wrong the early L322 had a BMW engine taken from the 7 series BMW it was later replaced with the Jaguar engine you mentioned.

2005 saw the introduction of the Jag engine.

If you remember BMW once owned Land Rover.

I do remember - and I should also have remembered the early V8s were indeed BMW :blush:

Try to find out the service history. Have expensive components that typically break over time been replaced ?

Radiator leaks? Catalyst converter leaks? Wheel bearings? Brake Discs? Stuff like that.

Try to get a sense of the state of maintenance. Is it well looked after or sold at a point where a lot of

expensive work is known to be needed soon ? One issue with high mileage can be that you will be unable to get

much warranty on such a vehicle. It´s much a case of what work will be needed and if you can afford to keep it running.