Is this my water pump failing?

Hi,

This morning I heard a strange noise coming from the engine cavity, so I stopped to take a look. The water pump pulley wheel and the viscous fan were not turning symmetrically as if the pulley wheel itself was loose. I stopped the engine and could feel play in the pulley of maybe a couple of millimetres. The bolts holding the pulley on are tight so does that mean that the water pump bearings are failing?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi,

This morning I heard a strange noise coming from the engine cavity, so I stopped to take a look. The water pump pulley wheeland the viscous fan were not turning symmetrically as if the pulley wheel itself was loose. I stopped the engine and could feel play in the pulley of maybe a couple of millimetres. The bolts holding the pulley on are tight so does that mean that the water pump bearings are failing?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

My 200Tdi is doing this, it doesn't seem to be leaking as of yet, but I've picked up a new airtex pump to replace it with.

Just had another look at it and to be honest there is probably more that 2mm of play and when I slacked off the belt there was slightly more. I took a short video to demonstrate. No water leakage though. Do you think the play attributable to the water pump bearing?

Thanks, Paul

I took a short video to demonstrate.

It's not long for this world!

Could do 500miles, could do 50miles.

Get a spare sent out, then either change it as a precaution or when it breaks.

Oh, and as above. Try and get an Airtex. Now the OEM to Landrover.

It was changed last night by a mechanic I know. It turned out to be a pig of a job as the pump had been off before and some of the nut ends were rounded off. He said he could change an army TD5 pump in about 30 minutes as apparently they are easier to get to, but with all the stuff that needed shifting out of the way on mine the job took about 90 minutes. The bearings had gone completely and the inner face plate had a monster groove in it caused by the rotating wheel as the bearings gradually failed. Nice new pump on now and all seems to be working fine :)

Thanks for all your advice.

Paul