To buy or not to buy? that is the question....

A friend of a friend has just written off their 04 90 TD5 by dropping it 25ft over his back wall into the stream at the bottom of his garden, it was done when he reversed a JCB into it and for whatever reason is not covered by the insurance, the chap is not short of a bob or two so I don't think he was that worried anyway.

Anyway he has decided to break it to recover some of the money figuring that the sum of the parts will be worth far more than the sum of the whole. I have been given first dibs of anything if I want them so was thinking, should I buy the engine and gearbox? It's only got 36k on it and has a full LR Service history.

I don't need a new engine but would a bit of forward planning be worth it? My thinking is I could buy it and crate it up stick it at the back of the workshop and have a spare if things went wrong with mine.

If I did buy it would there be any issues storing it? Would I have to do anything to it prior to storage? What do you think?

Jason.

I believe there is a procedure for storing engines, something to do with stopping them rusting internally etc. Can't recall what's involved though.

If it were me I would buy it, would make a nice future project. Or you could sell it, either way it can only really do you good in time :)

i wouldnt say no if you got it reasonably. You could always build up a conversion kit with the loom too.

When I store engines I pour oil into the cylinders and then slowly crank it by hand and then add abit more.

Otherwise, nothing else bar covering the intake/exhaust and putting it somewhere dry.

H

A friend of a friend has just written off their 04 90 TD5 by dropping it 25ft over his back wall into the stream at the bottom of his garden, it was done when he reversed a JCB into it and for whatever reason is not covered by the insurance,

OOPS, poor 90 it wasn't expecting that.

could make for an interesting project down the line smile.gif

Td5 S1? or the rather 'different' idea I had of seeing if a Td5 would fit in a Caterham!

Ross, it took me nearly 4 months to rebuild the original engine for my S1, the closest a TD5 gets to it is when the battery is flat and I can't be bothered to use the crank handle!!!ohmy.gif I think the gearbox may get in the way on a Caterham!!!!

Jason.

OOPS, poor 90 it wasn't expecting that.

I don't think it was, I have asked for some photos but they may be too graphic to adhear to forum rules...

Jason.

I think (but could be wrong) that when they (speculators rather than car lovers and drivers) store classic cars, they put some very very thick oil in to the engine and turn it over. It then coats the innards and stays there, rather than draining down to the sump, so all the internals stay nicely coated and protected. I presume it just thins down when you drain and replace with normal oil.

Cheers guys,

So whilst it looks like I should go for it, I hope I won't use it for a few years, which was really where the question came from, I have a boat so do the winterised thing every year but thats only for a few months, also used to prep standby generators as reminded by Ian but again it was only for 6 months max.

My concern would be that I the engine would need a rebuild before I could use it and therfore there would be no point also what to do with the gearbox would I just brim it, or have to do something else, would I need to split the box from the engine so the clutch didn't cease?

Also what sort of money is a 04 TD5 engine and box worth?

Jason.

if it was written off, the chassis is probably bent. Personally, if I had the cash, I'd buy it as the engine and boxes are a large chunk of the vehicle. Axles can be rebuit pretty easily if and when needed.

is the chassis bent? Might make a nice rebuild...

I would say more folded/snaped than bent!!! it is an intresting L shape!!!! with the rear axel at about 90 Degrees to the front, it folded along the internal roll cage with the rear axel where the roof should be.

Still trying to get photos, but it would need more than a new cross member.

Basicaly he reversed his JCB into it at about 25mph shoving it through a dry stone wall and down a 25ft-35ft sheer drop into a bolder lined stream. followed by the rest of the wall!!

There is not a straight pannel on it.. although it still works and drives!!! although only the front wheels and the back scrapes a little, but I have taxed worse...

Jason.