Sign in to follow this  
henry-john

rover v8 head gasket failure?

Hi,

I've recently fitted a rover V8 into my '87 RRC...

the engine was running great before removing it from the crashed RRC it was in...

engine is a pre serp '94 3.9

Now, before I fitted it to my RRC i put on a new water pump, cleaned the engine.... put new oil in and filtert etc...

renewed the gasket between the EFI and tre lower side of the blok (is this the head gasket?)

now when I start the engine (cold) with expansion tank open, 20secs nothing, after that, on a very irregular basis air bubbels are niticeable...

ONCE on temperature, I can open the expansion tank without any problem, and the, sometimes yes, sometimes not I can see air bubbling....

now, when the engine was revved higer for 5mins or so, there are MUCH more bubbles... of air...

no mayonaise neither in the expansion tank nor the oil filler cap...

Now, in the engine there is no water (not pure) but a micture of coolant ans water... (as was said to dilude on the box...)

a friend of mine sait it was too much diluded, and therefor was making steam up in the engine, and so making the bubbles....

is this an engine for the rebuild? or could this be fixes with other coolant?

Wanted to know first....

will test probably tomorrow....

Kind regards

HJ

You need to bleed the system well, the bubbles may be just air

Bleed the sytem, mark the expansion tank cold, o and drive good and

long, once home park in the same place and look at marked level, if it has dropped try topping up a few times

could still be air coming out. If it contuines could be head gasket, do a compreesion test

The other option is a plug shop

Start drive for a few miles, then when there is a layby, foot on clutch, switch off engine and coast into layby

Reove all plugs one by one and examine, see if any look "New Clean" this can indicate either liner (poss on 3,9 but rareish)

or head gasket, Compreesion test similarly can show this up

HTH

Nige

will do compression test this week...

will go to look for a good way to bleed the system....again... :-)

Will take off ALL the coolant and replace by new.... any idea how much can go into a 3,9?

one more thing.... it's an auto box now...

refurbished not clutch, but the auto box equivalent...

now and then a hick-up like thong.... just a second.... gets enough air.... could this be not enough fuel is getting to the engine?

mostly on +2500 rpm...

thx :D

Hi,

I've recently fitted a rover V8 into my '87 RRC...

the engine was running great before removing it from the crashed RRC it was in. The engine is a pre serp '94 3.9.

Now, before I fitted it to my RRC I put on a new water pump, cleaned the engine.... put new oil in and filter etc...

renewed the gasket between the EFI and the lower side of the block (is this the head gasket?)

now when I start the engine (cold) with expansion tank open, 20secs nothing, after that, on a very irregular basis air bubbles are noticeable...

ONCE on temperature, I can open the expansion tank without any problem, and the, sometimes yes, sometimes not I can see air bubbling....

now, when the engine was revved higer for 5mins or so, there are MUCH more bubbles... of air...

no mayonaise neither in the expansion tank nor the oil filler cap...

In the engine there is not just water but a mixture of coolant and water... (as was instructed to dilute on the box...)

a friend of mine said it was too much diluted, and therefore was making steam up in the engine, and so making the bubbles....

is this an engine for the rebuild? or could this be fixes with other coolant?

Wanted to know first....

will test probably tomorrow....

Kind regards

HJ

The gasket you changed is not the head gasket (there are two of these,) it is called the valley gasket or inlet manifold to head gasket. I agree that it is likely that the visible bubbles are air, if it was steam you would have a very hot header as the steam would condense in the coolant and raise it's temperature.

Try bleeding the system before you suspect something more serious. Removing the water pump and inlet manifold will have let the coolant drain completely and this is replaced with air which can hide in all the "nooks and crannies" (places to trap air)

PS Please excuse my alterations to your text, it might help others to follow it more easily.

apparently the radiator was full of air.... stuck to the new aluminium said the rad-maker....

kouching stopped after changing lead from bobine to delcho :-)