Question about ball joints

Must admit I assumed it was total which thinking about it would give about 10" of axle articulation (at the spring mount points), ie one side at top of its 10" travel and the other at the bottom of its 10" travel. (You would get more at the wheels) which seems sort of right. Even long tavel shocks when fitted are rarely positioned to get maximum travel from them, I know mine would compress more if the tyres didn't bottom out on the tub.

righteo

Mine currently looks like this

rearaxletwist.jpg

:o:o

As you can this is not full articulation, there is a few inches more of compression, need some softer springs.

My shocks are set with about 1/2" of compression left when the axle is against the lowered bump stop ( tyre shouldn't tuch the tub now)

So it could be the joint thats limiting articulation :angry:

Looks like i'll have to think of a plan B :unsure:

So it could be the joint thats limiting articulation :angry:

It doesn't look like the ball joint is at full travel, but there is a after market adjustable one tht has more movement.

But to be fair i've only had problems with the ball joint restricting droop not roll, and even that is easily fixed.

The best of the after market ball joints (standard ones that is) gives about 21 degrees rotation in either direction. you get another couple of degrees just from the flex in the A frame bushes.

In order to utilise this amount of travel, you will be running +4 or +5 shocks!

For most people, this is plenty and the radius arms run out of flex before the ball joint.

Si

Paul, how have you managed to mount the top of the damper so low ? do the dampers bottom out on the compression side ??

I have Pin topped shocke on the rear same as the front. The mounts were made by Gwyn Lewis. He told me it took him a long time to get them right. But they move the mount up and forward.

Paul

Here's what i do to the ball joint bracket to stop it limiting travel,

At ride height (+3") the ball joint is now in the center of it's movement.

Not wanting to be picky but you could benefit from a bump stop.

Still not wanting to be picky but you may want to look at your diff nose height, the springs have a pronounced bow to the rear.

I apologise if these items are in the process of rectification.wink.gif

Not wanting to be picky but you could benefit from a bump stop.

Still not wanting to be picky but you may want to look at your diff nose height, the springs have a pronounced bow to the rear.

I apologise if these items are in the process of rectification.wink.gif

No apologies necessary see here

I've set the diff nose that high to keep the the prop happy (read alive), the spring seats have yet to be altered.