Range Rover P38 Poly Bush

scube

My P38 has covered 115,000 hard miles and I'm thinking its due some new bushes would love to fit STD bushes but they need special equipment to fit them. My local garage only has one of the tools required for a complete change.

Has anyone out there in Range Rover land had any experience with Poly Bush in P38’s.

I have to say I'm not a fan of Poly bush myself but needs must.

Will you be able to get the old bushes out? On older Land Rovers the only tooling required to change the suspension bushes is a (fairly powerful) press*, but I don't know if that's still the case for the P38.

* - or a hacksaw, a large hammer and a lot of time, at least to get the old ones out.

Some of the bushes on the P38 are bigger than the hole they fit in and need a conical tool to compress them down while on the press to get them into the hole. Bugger

Hence thinking poly bush

But if the bushes are under that much pressure I wonder how poly will perform.

The front radius arm bushes are very tight in the arms and the LR tools are very feeble.Give Clinton a ring at Longranger 4x4,(Near Chippenham,Wilts) on 07836 598985 - he has made up a decent set of tools to change them and was talking about doing them on an exchange basis.He did some for me a while back with genuine bushes and it makes a hell of a difference to the handling.

Thank you Ally V8

I know Clinton I will give him a bell like the exchange idea.

Cheers

I changed the bushes on my classic when I got it.. made such a differance I have wanted to do the same with my P38

Will do now.

I went with Orange polybushes on my P38. Overall I think it's improved handling off road. However, I would recommend not fitting polys to the panhard road. I did and found that I got intermittent front end judder at 55mph plus specifically when catching some rough road. Cured this by going back to oem rubber on the panhard.

That said this may not be the case for all p38s ... certainly polybush were surprised when I raised this with them, though my local industry said it wasn't the first time they'd had to remove polybush from a panhard. My truck is on Arnott gen 3s and bilstein shocks. maybe on oem airbags and shocks this is less of an issue.

Martin.

My P38 has covered 115,000 hard miles and I'm thinking its due some new bushes would love to fit STD bushes but they need special equipment to fit them. My local garage only has one of the tools required for a complete change.

Has anyone out there in Range Rover land had any experience with Poly Bush in P38’s.

I have to say I'm not a fan of Poly bush myself but needs must.

Poly bushes are OK on the road, but won't last long if you go off-road. There are too many spots for dirt to get in between moving parts and they just chew out.