Front electric windows

Tufty

I'm considering buying a '95 ES TDI. Everything works except the front windows. Likely to be the switches? Also it lacks cruise control. I know that in series 2 discos the working gubbins are there and it's possible to retro fit it fairly simply. Is it the same with 300 series discos? Ta.

My front windows were a bit iffy when I first got my Disco and I put it down to switches - in fact I swapped the front and rear switches around as a temporary fix until I found time to look at it properly. In the end I took the switches out, gave the contacts a clean and put them back and I've had no trouble out of them since. If it's not that then you have a motor or wiring problem and I know nowt about either of those.

As far as the cruise control goes, my understanding is that the D2 kit is easy to fit because the engine is fly-by-wire and the switch is just a connection to the ECU that says "stay at this speed please". With a D1 you'll have a physical throttle so I doubt it would be so simple. If you do find an easy way I'd be interested to hear: for my own selfish purposes of course.

Windows were an issue on my D1 too - or at least the front passenger door one was. Turned out to be the motor. Changing the motor is about a 10 minute job, although you need 3 hands! They seem to turn up reasonably often on eBay, and are the same as Range Rover ones of a similar age.

'fraid I don't know anything about cruise control...

Mark

as i understand it the cruise control if fitted probably wouldnt work anyway so your not missing out! its got loads of vacuum pipes that spilt so isnt the most reliable thing. ive heard of people retrofitting it but i think it does take time as there is quite a lot of it.

the windows i think have a dedicated ECU somewhere, so im told everytime i try & solve the problems with mine.