starting problems....... where do i start

gelf

its a P reg 300tdi manual.

its got a really annoying habit ....... sometimes when i try to start it, i turn the key and nothing happen, the starter just wont work, it seems to happen when ive got no access to tools or a multimeter. Normaly if you leave it half an hour and go back it starts straight away.

last night was slightly different because it would start at 18.00 when i went to work, the mrs tried it at 21.00 and still nothing but when i got home this afternoon to have an investigation it fired up instantly.

seems to happen if the engine is hot or cold and does this about once a month.

really dont know where to start, if it just died i could probably trace the problem, but its difficult when its intermitant.

any ideas??

Could be the exciter wire (the thin spade connector on the solenoid), which sometimes is quite a weak fit and causes intermittent starting. Could aslo be the ignition switch on the back of the ignition lock - frequent use weakens the various contacts inside it and gives your problem.

Les.

Hello, Sorry for the slow reply lost the password

I have had this with 2 300tdi's and its the starter relay, it realy made "SHE who must be obeyed" mad when it did it.

Get you home: run a wire from the battery to the live terminal on the starter solenoid, with the key on the starter turns and starts.

Fix:The relay is one of 4 in the passenger footwell, pull out the trim panel on the door post and its tucked away in there

Cheers