Td5 Loss of Power and...

During a 400 mile drive today I experienced 8-10 instances of a momentary loss of power accompanied by the needle of the temperature gauge shooting up to "H". My vehicle is an '02 Td5 110, with 98,000 miles on the clock, had a full service 2,000 miles ago, showing no previous symptoms.

Assuming this to be an earthing problem, I have checked the main battery to chassis/gearbox earth, and the earth to the ECU in the driver's-side seatbox. These seem fine, and no other faults are obvious.

Any ideas what the fault is or what else I should check?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Thanks, Andy, the symptoms are certainly as described in the other posts. The earth seems fine (certainly tests ok), however, I didn't check the relays so that's something to look at.

Can I check I understand the following advice from the Devon 4x4 site which says: "put an extra ground wire from the battery negatif pole to the ground stud in the floorpanel under the engine ecu location - this stud is where the engine ecu takes his 3 grounds"

...to be clear, is that the stud I see in the generally upper-right area of the seatbox base and which has a thin earth wire attached?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Phil,

I had a similiar issue with my first D2(2002/TD5), it turned out to be the head gasket on its way out, low coolant. It was fine for a bit after topping up then it would do it again, also the coolant level was low. I had replaced the sensor to be sure it wasn't just a faulty sensor. I also cleaned the ecu plugs to be sure it wasn't oil in the loom.

Colin.

Hi, Colin, I'm not ruling out either suggestion, however, the coolant level is fine and the ECU plugs are clean. I'm going to try replacing the seatbox earth cable when I get back on Thursday.

Hate this type of fault!

All the best,

Phil.

Right, I've cleaned and tightened all the earth connections and re-seated the relays and ECU connectors. The symptoms have not recurred in the 100 miles I've done subsequently. I suspect the combination of (relatively) high speed and a hot day contributed to the problem during my previous long-run. Since I haven't been as fast and it's not as warm, I may have to wait a while before I can be sure it's fixed!

All the best,

Phil.

Right, I've cleaned and tightened all the earth connections and re-seated the relays and ECU connectors. The symptoms have not recurred in the 100 miles I've done subsequently. I suspect the combination of (relatively) high speed and a hot day contributed to the problem during my previous long-run. Since I haven't been as fast and it's not as warm, I may have to wait a while before I can be sure it's fixed!

All the best,

Phil.

hi phil, i have the same problem,i thought i had it sorted when it was in a land rover garage, they said it was not a common fault and said it was a birnt wire that led to a yellow relay failur, six quid for relay hundred for fitting it, been out since the problem still there was told earth wires in engine bay right behind the the instramant clocks three earths, cleaned thease up it seemed beter but did it again on moter way when reached 80 mph, going to run earth from battery to earth near ecu try that,defo not going back to garage, stick with this forum save a fortune. ;)

• 2 weeks later...