Overheating def - help please

JST

The flow is in the top and out the bottom.

Although I can't imagine the radiator being totally blocked. I've certainly never come across it before.

You should be able to feel the same pressure on the bottom hose as on the top one (or anywhere on the cooling system really, including heater hoses, although it would be more difficult to detect.

You don't need to take the radiator out to check to see if it's blocked - just remove both hoses and run the garden hose in the top. If it gushes out the bottom, then it's not totally blocked, but could still be partially obstructed. If water flows through the radiator after this test, then re-connect the hoses, start the engine and slowly re-fill while it ticks over. If after a while you still get a stream of bubbles. then I would say take the head off.

Les. :)

Just thinkg aloud and piching Dans thoughts from his email to me.

if its exhaust gases escaping into the coolant, would you still not expect the rad to the get hot and the bottom pipe to warm up? at the moment top pipe flexes under load, and gets very hot, rad cool and bottom pipe cool as per original post. whioch makes me think still blockage - likely to be air.

come on DSN stop worrying about moving house and flush the system through!

Hi there. Finally managed to get on internet.

Well I've had no chance to do anything on the motor. I am therefore looking at getting it to my mechanic mate in Coventry who can hopefully sort it out for a reasonable cost. Only problem is getting it to him. Have use of tow car but source of trailers has dried up. Guess may need to hire one for a few hours and quickly shift over. Anyone on here from Leamington/Cov area and got a large car trailer?

Hopefully a head skim and head gasket will see it running properly again. Need to get sorted for Tony's bash and a probable camping week down that way as well.

Cheers for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry has been a long time since last update but lots on so landy was down the long list!

Anyway I return with good news. She is fully running and MOT'd to boot! :D

I managed to get the motor over to my mates garage in the end as I could not see me getting anywhere other than circles.

We firstly drained the system and blasted water through from various directions. No major things although a long period of white foamy stuff but it then dissappeared. Guess it was some old crud/limescale etc that got shifted due to high pressure hose.

We filled system with water and no thermostat and ran it. Hose was bulging and could see bubbles and spray in expansion tank. :( Then quickly checked mates 300tdi to see what his did. Top hose also bulged very slightly and water did spray in tank.

We then got his exhaust sniffer and held it over the expansion tank. No sign of exhaust gas so a bit promising. :huh:

We decided to really strip cooling system to check all things and did find a plastic washer jammed in one of the inlet pipes. It had a very small hole so restricting flow.

Whill we had it stripped, we also retapped the thermostat housing to take the old TD sender. Not ideal route as only really a pitch difference for the threads as similar diameter but it went in and a bit of loctite seems to have it fixed and sealed.

We then stuck it all back together. Filled carefully without thermostat and ran it up.

Checked against gauge and a laser temp gun and all seems to be okay. Pipe still bulges a little so it must be due to water flow rather than pressure build. Fan now cuts in correctly as well using the X-eng thermoswitch in the bottom hose.

Based on this, we then stuck thermostat in and continued to test etc and it all seems to work fine. While on a high we got it down to the MOT man and he passed it straight off! :D Just an advisory for the OSF swivel bearing play!

So after all that, not entirely sure what happened to the vehicle previously. Can only assume some restrictions in the system and an air lock somewhere. Perhaps without realising the, the fan fitted is so powerful it had really cooled the rad and bottom hose when I had it running a few minutes and that obviously then threw me with the concern of hot top hose, cold elsewhere.

Anyway really chuffed with the outcome. Has highlighted the water pump is on its way out as moaning bearing and some play but that is easily resolved. I am now fully mobile for White90's event so hopefully see some of you there! :)

Cheers for all the help.

we also retapped the thermostat housing to take the old TD sender. Not ideal route as only really a pitch difference for the threads as similar diameter but it went in and a bit of loctite seems to have it fixed and sealed.

you can swap the lower section for the Defender 200Tdi part --- ERR1499 [bolts & gasket are the same as for the Discovery version] & Transmitter PRC8593 & washer 90568054, these will work fine with your existing TD temp gauge, mine does :i-m_so_happy:

Good to know the problem is fixed :)

with the engine running hold the rad hose and rev the engine if you feel the hose buldge with the revs

the head gasket may be an issue,

I'd think the rad could be blocked

or the gauge/sender are unmatched and are misleading you

May I refer you Dan to the last line of the above :)