M8000 Or Xd9000i

BogMonster

If you had the choice between a Warn M8000 and an XD9000i for a Defender, which one would you choose and why?

I know the XD9000i fairly well, not that fond of it personally as they don't seem very waterproof, the freespool lever seizes up and so does the brake, but otherwise it seems OK :blink: but I know nothing at all about an M8000 apart from that it presumably pulls 1000lb less (before somebody points that out :P ) just wondering if it was good, bad or rubbish?

Not for me BTW, my Milemarker is staying right where it is! just after some pros/cons for somebody else.

Ta

i run an xd9000i on the front of mine, yep freespool seized soon after i had it although prob due to lack of use. since i have started using it more often its been fine, no problems (touching wood) to date and quite happy with it. no brake problems either. its gained my confidence now anyway. i run it with 9mm Dyneema and ali hawse fairlead. Its had a fair number of dunkings and works fine although i think i will moce the solenoids out of the bridge at some point and relocate them inside the vehicle. thats when the time permits!!!!

I have a very old (and I mean so old that Ryders sent me a free part as they had no more use for it) M8000 - I fitted a superwinch motor and although it's not quick (and that's an understatement) It's more than adequate for use on my 110 - It's been soaked, lefy idle for months and not let me down - it's easy to take apart and rebuild and parts are readily available

I have no experience of the XD9000i

Chris

I've been using an XD9000 for a number of years and it has never let me down.

Quite a statement if you believe everything Mark90 and TonyW say!! :P:P:P:lol:

Not as quick as an 8274 but pulls really well and much cheaper. Only downside is drum capacity as they tie bars across the top limit the amount of rope you can get on.

Steve I wouldn't chose either

The XD has been covered elsewhere as none to good . the M8000 is an old POS with plastic busghes that melt, and was again built to a price, go for a husky, which is a industrail recovery winch as opposed to the M8000 and many others which is a recreactional / hobby winch

Nige

Neither would I Nige, but them be the two choices in a Land Rover accessory brochure (well there were three in the brochure but I pointed out that the X6000 wasn't strong enough to break a bit of soggy bog paper so that option went straight out the window...)

The best winch ever built was the Koenig mechanical from the USA, engine front pully or transfer case drive types................

Mine on the Series II, 88", outpulled every electric around one dark and stormy night when electrics were blowing up so bad you thought it may have been a lightning storm :)

Milemarkers are a close second but bring a good novel if you plan on using one..............

The Warn 8274 is a still closer second allowing that we are talking about "stock" winches.....:

Yes the Koenig is great! But better have the sheer pin in it.... I hadn't and bended the main winch axle completely :( Bugger to get out :(

Cheers BOwy

Shear pin? do they have a shear pin ??......................... :)

bugger the shear pin........winch till you puke :) :)