P38 water leak

mmd

Hi,

I have water leaking into the passenger side footwell when it rains. Local main dealer claims its the scuttle panel sponge thats missing that creates it. Don't believe that 9 out of 10 dont have them.

Does anyone know of a common problem with the P38 leaking water from windscreen/ pollen filter or something in that area.

Have had a look but nothing obvious to be seen

cheers

Hi,

I have water leaking into the passenger side footwell when it rains. Local main dealer claims its the scuttle panel sponge thats missing that creates it. Don't believe that 9 out of 10 dont have them.

Does anyone know of a common problem with the P38 leaking water from windscreen/ pollen filter or something in that area.

Have had a look but nothing obvious to be seen

cheers

Make sure the drain tubes for the wiper linkage "well" are clear, especially if the foam on the vents has gone.Could be full of leaves etc.

Seal around the pollen filters with some silicone.

I would recommend NOT using silicone because it will really only work if the surface is prepared properly i.e. very clean (Not dusty) and dry and if it fails is almost impossible to re-silicone (Silicone doesn't stick to silicone) I always use a Selleys product called 'Wet Seal' in Australia...Probably also sold in other markets also...It's a co- polymer sealant and can be re-done easily and cleans up with WD-40 or similar products.

Good luck..hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I had the exact same problem with my P38. It's a while ago now and I've since sold it so I am working from memory.

It was not the pollen filter as the entry to this is raised so water can't flow up hill.

If you take off the black plastic panel below the windscreen there are some screws holding this and a few more panels to the bulkhead. Even though the screws were present the water was getting through the plastic captive nuts for these screws.

Just found my post about it here on another forum.My link