Lambda boss position?

Just been crawling around under the 110 looking at the exhaust with a view to welding in the boss for the lambda sensor. The exhaust is a Double-S 'sports' system (which vaguely fits without fouling too many bits of the chassis...), 4 into 1 headers then a Y pipe into a single 3" pipe. Fitting the lambda sensor into the Y is virtually impossible due to the way the Y is made with a welded seam right through the centreline of where the boss would go. Putting the sensor just aft of the Y is an option but access is very tricky and taking apart the system would be a right ar$e, not least because it's wrapped in exhaust insulation. About 3" further back down the system (about in-line with the handbrake drum) and the Y joins to a section of straight pipe which would be really easy to take out and weld the boss into. Bearing in-mind that I'll be using a 4 wire heated sensor, is this too far back down the system for valid readings? I think it should be fine as it's still quite a few feet and a silencer from the end of the pipe and the sensor heater, along with the exhaust lagging, means things should still be hot enough at that stage. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy,

The closer you can get it the Y bit the better, but where you are suggesting will be OKay,

but you'l need time even as a heated unit for it to come on line so to speak

You can also weld a Steel bung onto stainless (in case you were wondwering :lol:)

Nige

Cheers Nige. I'd pretty much decided to put it in the straight as getting the Y piece out is just too awful to contemplate. So far as welding I was going with a stainless boss into a stainless tube with mild steel wire - no idea if it'll work but if I can get away without buying a reel of stainless wire I'll be happy ;-)

Andy.