Swivel bearing replacement

Firstly a big thanks to Les for another excellent how to topic - another job made loads easier.

I have an early type front axle with a railko bush at the top is it worth/possible to use a taper bearing in the top or is the swivel housing different?

Second when it all came apart ther were no shims there at all so I need to buy some, the parts catalogue (pg 417) lists 4 different thicknesses of shim, can anyone recommend a good selection to buy?

Lastly (for now!!) am I correct in thinking that only the top swivel pin has shims under it?

Cheers

Chris

Firstly a big thanks to Les for another excellent how to topic - another job made loads easier.

I have an early type front axle with a railko bush at the top is it worth/possible to use a taper bearing in the top or is the swivel housing different?

Second when it all came apart ther were no shims there at all so I need to buy some, the parts catalogue (pg 417) lists 4 different thicknesses of shim, can anyone recommend a good selection to buy?

Lastly (for now!!) am I correct in thinking that only the top swivel pin has shims under it?

1. Pass

2. If you're not in a rush, assemble the swivel minus shims and adjust the top bolts to get the right resistance, then measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Buy shims that are 90% of this value plus 2 off the second thinnest and 2 off the thinnest (or some spread like that, provided you can make up thicknesses both sides of your measured value).

3. Yes, but probably different amounts under each side ...

Thanks for the replys.

With regard to the shims, need to put an order in for all the bits needed in one go. They only cost pennies so will buy a selection - 2 of each size per side sound good or maybe a few more of the thicker ones?

Western, think you are correct about the swivel housings, will stick to the railko. Had a nightmare getting the old bush out spent about an hour 'gently' tapping the bush ;)

Cheers

Chris

With regard to the shims, need to put an order in for all the bits needed in one go. They only cost pennies so will buy a selection - 2 of each size per side sound good or maybe a few more of the thicker ones?

I can't believe "no shims" was correct, but you never know! Your's sounds like a good plan, and I'm sure if you post up a plea for extra ones someone will have some in a shed somewhere :lol:

Its so long since I did this to mine I can't remember what I used :unsure:

When I did mine, the bearmach kit had little packets of a selection of shims for each side. it had a separate part number, so should be available separately. :)

Railko bush and Bearing-ed swivels are different. there is a step in the hole for the bearing race to sit against.

One of my sides only used a couple of shims, the other used the whole stack and more.

When I did mine, the bearmach kit had little packets of a selection of shims for each side. it had a separate part number, so should be available separately. :)

Railko bush and Bearing-ed swivels are different. there is a step in the hole for the bearing race to sit against.

One of my sides only used a couple of shims, the other used the whole stack and more.

Hi Ross,

What did the bearmach kit consist of, and where did you get it from?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Where I got it from probably isn't much use as its my local independent, MID Engineering.

Trying to find the pictures of the kit, but for now off the top of my head the kit had: Lower bearing (Timkin), i think 4 shims, top and bottom swivel pins, Railko bush, and the thrust washer.

EDIT: and the gasket.

(This is one kit, so a kit per side)

Hi Chris,

Where I got it from probably isn't much use as its my local independent, MID Engineering.

Trying to find the pictures of the kit, but for now off the top of my head the kit had: Lower bearing (Timkin), i think 4 shims, top and bottom swivel pins, Railko bush, and the thrust washer.

EDIT: and the gasket.

(This is one kit, so a kit per side)

Like this?

06052010620.jpg]

Here we go. Yes errol, simmilar to the kit above.

The picture is a whole consignment of parts I bought at once for the swivels...

The swivel kit is everything on the right, excluding the Corteco Seals. Comes in the green box and has all the bits that are around it! Bearing, Bush, Shims, Pins, washer and Gasket.

Hope this helps! :)

The kit from Paddocks may well contain Britpart bearings/seals/etc. so that might be something you wish to avoid.

Look, it was for illustrative purposes only, I never meant to condone the worship of the little blue boxes! Honest! :P

I had no trouble at all with the fit or quality of the bearmach stuff. I dont feel I would get the same from a britpart box. Things like the bearing are unlikely to be Timken, probably made of cheese!

Nothing against you Errol!!! :) The blue boxes are great... its the contents that's no so great :P

The blue boxes are great... its the contents that's no so great :P

Oi! That's my joke! :P

(I didn't take it personally anyway. *sniff*)

At least you could use the part numbers on the link as a shopping list for real, non-dairy bearings and those special-order oil-resistant oil seals :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Oh dear me! not knowing there were two different types of swivel housing i.e. taper bear top and bottom type and the later Railko bush and taper bearing type until after I bought all the bits, I'm now having the go and buy the other kit (Railko bush type) to suit the swivel housing (new) I have. :blink:

Never mind we live and learn, just have to wait a few more days before playing once again. Regarding shim packing : would both the top and bottom have to be shimmed equally to ensure that the hub is centred? OR would only the top be shimmed so that the bottom taper rollers are housed against the the journal?? Any ideas :huh: