Towbar connector pinouts anyone ???

windnwaves

Hi,

Thanks for reading this...

Just fitted a a none genuine towbar to my year 2000 FL.

It has just a wire from the tow bar socket to splice into to the vehicle electrics.

I have found the (I think !) connector that the genuine LR towbar electrics connect to, I just wondered if anyone can direct me to a "pin out" for the socket.. All the wires are BLACK !

If the connectors are available it would be nice to do the job properly and just plug in rather than "Scotch Lok"

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

If the Freelander uses the BS AU7 colours, then:

Black - ground

Green / red - left indicators

Green / white - right indicators

Green / brown - reverse lamp

Green / purple - stop lamps

Red / yellow - fog lamp

Red - side and tail lights

• 3 weeks later...

It's "Me" again,

Got the tow bar fitted and wiring sorted.

Now I was wondering what I needed to change to make it 100% legal.

I have heard that to make a warning light for the indicators work on dashboard you need to swap a relay somewhere ( or do something else ! ). Any suggestions as apparently the boys in blue around my neck of the woods are getting a bit keen on checking 4x4's towing trailers and the finer details..

One or two accidents have happened locally with overloaded or "iffy" trailers so everyone is to blame.....

I'm sure that my local LR dealer would help but I would like to check out the cheaper options, once I know what is required, first..

Thanks

Now that is really easy..........go to your LR dealer and ask for a Freelander towing relay. I found they were cheaper than a local towing centre!!

Remove old one.

Plug in new one.

Little trailer lights up on dash. Once only when no trailer connected, all the time if trailer working properly.

• 7 years later...