Suspension Question

lawrence

I own a 1995 Discovery 1 Auto that has been lifted before I bought it by 2". the suspension seems really soft to me, but as this is the first landrover i've owned and it been lifted i am not sure. Can you possible tell me how much i should be able to mannully move the car be pressing down on the bonnet, if at all. If it matters road holding is not that important and i want the car to have a more offroad set up.

Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Discovery's are pretty 'wollowy' at the best of times. However, a '95 is quite old, so bush's can be worn if they havn't been changed since.

Mine is stiffer when I changed my springs - but I put HD springs on so can't give you a good idea about what they should move, mine is about 1" of moving, but that's me pushing on the bumper, not jumping up on the bumper.

Axle bush's make quite a bit of difference though... might be worth a look there first..

Eeyore

If its the Britpart/procomp kit (quite popular due to low price) then they are really soft. If it has yellow springs and white shocks then this is probably the case. Cetainly mine with this kit was like riding on a blancmange, even with poly bushes fitted all round.

The discovery is pretty top heavy, and when not fitted with antiroll bars handles pretty bad without a lift, but with soft springs and shocks it's scary.

To answer your question I would expect to be able to push a cheaply-lift disco down a good 4 inches by pushing on the corner of the bonnet.

I dont think i can get it to move that much but it wouldn't be far off. the springs are black and so are the rear shocks, not sure about the front. which kit would be best to replace it with as i know in time its going to have to be done. i am supose to be going away off roading in Aug and had planned on altering the suspension after that. If i do it before i'll only break something :lol: .

If money is no object go Old Man Emu all day long for both springs and shocks, it's probably worth the extra in the long run anyway!

If you're on a budget from what I've seen the Terrafirma products offer a good balance between price and performance. I haven't used them myself though.

I am struggling to find a price for the Old Man Emu products, so any idea of a rough price. Also would you use them for springs aswell as the shocks or mix in a different brand of springs with there shocks.

I am struggling to find a price for the Old Man Emu products, so any idea of a rough price. Also would you use them for springs aswell as the shocks or mix in a different brand of springs with there shocks.

I used Ome 764'front springs and 763 rear springs with OME shocks

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p483c140/0/ome-n174-shock.html

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p484c140/0/ome-n175-shock.html

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p477c139/0/ome-763-spring.html

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p475c139/0/ome-764-spring.html

HTH

Tony

I've no experience of the Terrafirma springs, but their shocks are very much more controlled on the road than my old pro-comps, but then I do weigh in at 1350Kg on the rear axle, you are probably a bit lighter than that.

I would recommend them as a budget set of shocks, definitely.

wow over £600 for a suspension kit, I wasn't expecting that much, I might look into somthing a little less pricey at the moment as i am not sure just how much off roading i am going to be able to do.

Did say it was spendy :blink:

Very good on road as well, run mine without arb's and no noticable body roll :D

I had looked at the terrafirma springs and shocks, they look quite good. where did you get yours from and rougly what was the cost. I've found some standard height i think for somewhere near £200 but as the vehicle is already lifted, I wanted to keep it that way.

You can work out your suspension and often find standard parts to do it, have a look in the technical archive, there's a spring rate calculator on Trev's site and several people have done bits about working out suspension setups. Case in point is Nige's 90 which runs off-the-shelf bits but has more travel than an "extreme" kit costing loadsamoney.

I had looked at the terrafirma springs and shocks, they look quite good. where did you get yours from and rougly what was the cost. I've found some standard height i think for somewhere near £200 but as the vehicle is already lifted, I wanted to keep it that way.

MM4x4 were the cheapest, cost about £240 all in, and had them the next day

medium kit does the job for me, i do tow a lot, and carry lots of kit around in the week,

plus i have a roof rack, winch etc, i mainly got the kit because of the winch, old standard springs didnt like it too much :blink: but having fitted them it has improved my discos road manners 100% got a terrafirma steering damper too

Ian ;)