Insurance as a non-resident.

ajh

I am trying to ship my vehicle (motorcycle in this case) to the UK to use to tour the UK and Europe but every company I've spoken with has told me that as a non-resident I cannot get coverage in the UK, yet I understand coverage is mandatory unless you're a millionaire and able to put up a 500,000GBP bond with the government in lieu.

I know people tour the world with their own vehicles.... how do you manage to get insurance for the UK if you're not from the UK?

Take out insurance in your own country that will cover you in others?

For example any insurance issued in the UK automatically covers you to at least the legal minimum in all EU countries, and a lot will give you full cover at extra cost. There must be companies offering insurance across multiple countries, but based in Canada? I'm sure they will charge you a lot for it, but it must exist.

Doesn't exist as far as anyone in the insurance industry is aware. I've been trying. My normal insurance only covers Canada/USA, even for Mexico I have to get a local insurer to cover me.

We had the same problem (albeit round the other way) when we toured north America. No UK company would offer us insurance in America. I eventually found a company based in Florida that gave me the necessary cover, as a non-resident to drive my own UK registered car in USA and Canada. It was hard work finding them and it seems there are only a couple of companies that do this sort of cover over there. Whilst this doesn't help you at all (I love being helpful!!) it does give you an idea that what you are asking is not "the norm" and therefore may be difficult to find.

Have a look here... http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

or more specifically in the forum here... http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/

I used this site a lot when planning our trip. It's more geared towards motorcyclists, but things like the legalities will apply to 4 wheeled overlanders too.

Good luck!

Dan :)