X-fan question

MogLite

I'm currently wiring up my X-fan switch

I'm using the schematic at the top of page 2 - Here

When I switch to manual overide - only one of the two fans comes on.

It this how it is meant to work ? Or do I have to look a bit closer at my wiring :blink:

I would want/expect both if I was over-riding.

it is not explained what is going on inside the thermostat but as far as I can deduce:

a) top horizontal bar is common supply to both internal switches

B) left vertical bar is low temp N.O, switch (N.O, = normally open; closes when temp reached)

B) right vertical bar is high temp N.O, switch

switch has 3 positions:

1. middle, both fans off - easy - no supply to the thermostat so no fan will be powered.

2. top, fan override; power goes out of lowest switch connector to the low speed fan.

3. low, power to common thermostat switch; depending on temp, low or both fans will be on.

your wiring appears to be correct.

fans.jpg

Looks complicated but is actually quite simple really and keeps the two fans seperate to minimise key failure points. Each fan can be independantly switched between on/off/temperature controlled, and there is also a master off switch for wading (with a V8? Yeh I know) which switches on two flashing lights (only one shown on diagram) one is by the switch and one is in the main instrument panel. If the fans are switched to temperature controlled they will work with the ignition off if they are switched to the on position they will only work with the ignition on. There are warning lights to tell me when the temp switch kicks in, ie when the fan should be on, and another warning light to tell me that the fan is actually on, well it tells me that the relay has switched. Oh and if you hadn't realised T1 an dT2 are the thermo switch.

Ah - okay, so that is the way its supposed to work - hmmmm.

Thanks for the circuit diagram - yeah that makes sense, I'm not sure if its worth the effort at the moment though.

I'm not sure where manual over-ride would help, manual off - yes. But manual-on maybe only if the thermostat packs up ????

Ah - okay, so that is the way its supposed to work - hmmmm.

Thanks for the circuit diagram - yeah that makes sense, I'm not sure if its worth the effort at the moment though.

I'm not sure where manual over-ride would help, manual off - yes. But manual-on maybe only if the thermostat packs up ????

Aye probably not worth the effort of changing if you've already wired them up. Si's diagram will work fine and it's only one more wire if you want both fans on with the manual over-ride on switch. Yep as far as I can see the only real advantage of the manual over-ride on is if the temp switch fails.

Also before anyone asks the ability to switch each fan off idividually is just to give total flexability in switching, for instance if one of the blades gets damaged then that fan can be switched off leaving the other one running, yes I know the wire could be disconnected. This happened to a mate who was racing and he had to switch both fans off to finish the lap as the damaged fan was hitting the rad. If you didn't want this feature the same circuit could be used but the on/off/on(temp) switches could simply be changed for on/on(temp) switches.

It is supposed to work like that.

Sure it's possible to switch both fans - but the intention was to boil down the complexity to something that most people could understand and wire up.

Relay based logic or too many options seemed to cause masive confusion for a lot of people, so, as I say it was boiled down to something simple enough not to generate too many enquiries!

Si

Simon, the pacet fan with temp switch I bought came with simliar, although not as clear, Nige numpty wiring instructions. I'd say you are taking the right approach and wasn't knocking your intructions as all, if people understand relays etc then they can come up with their own wiring, as I have.

Andy,

I have mine wired so that the lower temperature switch brings them both on at half speed (wired in series) and the higher temperature switch, switches them to fast speed (wired in parallel). I also wire it via a permanent live feed so that the fans will continue to run (if they need to) after the engine is switched off. This has given me 4 years of trouble free operation.

I can only ever remember them once going to fast speed ............... and that was because the rad was clogged with mud on a 100 mile trip back home. :rolleyes: Although I do test them at ever service.

Dualspeedfans.jpg

Ian