Power steering box bolts

Evening all,

I have a 97 300TDI defender I would like to know the sizes of bolts that hold the power steering box on both diameter lengths and thread if possible please? I think its 6 bolts in total I need to source new ones before i remove the old ones or I can't fetch them lol!

Many Thanks

Matt

The chassis rail bolts screw into the steering box, so no nuts there. Locking tabs (or you could use spring washers instead). They are M12 x 1.75 pitch x ? length. There are also 2 x nuts/bolts that connects the support bracket at the bottom of the steering box - these are also M12 x 1.75 and (I guess) 25-30mm. Large washers either side and nyloc nuts on them.

Les.

• 7 years later...

Mega necro-post I know, but saves creating a new thread.

As above the part number for the 4 M12 steering box bolts was BX112201 - a standard hex-headed bolt 100mm long. This has apparently been superseded by QYG500140, of which I ordered four for my 110. However these are flange-headed as below, with threadlock on.

IMG_0447.JPG.593dd6c988da39674d3c8d4b1248664a.JPG

This means the captive strips won't work, they're also slightly shorter than 100mm (due to the flange) which, combined with the captive strip and a washer, makes me worried about sufficient thread engagement at the box end.

Has the fixing method for 2007-on vehicles changed, to do away with the strips/washers and rely on the flanged heads and the threadlock? I need to find a 2007-on vehicle to look at but wondered if anybody knew?

Not to worry, saw a 62-plate 110 in town and had a sneaky look so have answered my own question.

For reference, it would seem that 2007-on they used these later flange-head bolts and no captive strip or washers. I suspect the threadlock negates the need for the former and the flanged head for the latter.