air suspension

hi all, the wife's p38 1997 dt, was on the bump stops yesterday morning went out for about for 20 minute drive 10 minutes thre stopped for about 15 minutes and drove back and it didn't rise until we pulled up outside the house, same this morning on the bump stops,is there anything i can fix myself,( as i have a defender90 and do all my own work on that)or is there an archive somewhere i could follow, thank's in advance for replies, :) defender dinky

hi all, the wife's p38 1997 dt, was on the bump stops yesterday morning went out for about for 20 minute drive 10 minutes thre stopped for about 15 minutes and drove back and it didn't rise until we pulled up outside the house, same this morning on the bump stops,is there anything i can fix myself,( as i have a defender90 and do all my own work on that)or is there an archive somewhere i could follow, thank's in advance for replies, :) defender dinky

hi, this problem with air suspension i left it for a few days and now it has corrected it self, could it be a sensor or something simliar relay etc, cheer's defender dinky

Is it displaying any warning lights? Is the compressor running while it's sat on the stops refusing to rise?

hi task, no warning lights and yes pump running, also do you no part number for centre exhaust box passenger side or has anybody got one in the midlands area, for p38 dt 97 cheer's defender dinky

Centre exhaust leaking and suddenly developed air suspension issues? It's highly likely that your problem is a leaky air line caused by hot exhaust gases melting it - usually where the air lines to the left rear spring and tank run on top of the cross member above the rear axle - the exhaust commonly corrodes through at the elbow there.

Replacing the air lines is fairly easy - if you're certain where the leak is you can just get a connector, cut the pipe and rejoin it, but more bullet proof approach is to get sufficient pipe to replace the complete runs. If your pump has been running continuously for any length of time - and especially if it's already old/high mileage - then get a pump rebuild kit too. Again, an easy job, only takes about half an hour.

Obviously, get the washing up liquid spray out first and check for leaky springs and the like.

You might also want to download the free EASUnlock software and get hold of / build a suitable cable to connect it before you actually need it (or find someone local who has a cable and is prepared to lend it to you) - save you paying a fortune for a garage to put it on diagnostics and reset it when you could have done it yourself in ten minutes!