Funny Story??????

Hi all,

At the end of this I need a serious answer, but it will make you smile?

Recently fitted a disco 200tdi into my LR90, had problems with starting it but sorted now (maybe?) so took it to local LR mechanic to set fuel timing etc, which he did.

When I went to see him, he had changed timing chain and rollers for me, all good. Couldnt fetch it till the next day, when I got there he said that at 6am that morning he was awoken to the sound of my landy being started, he lives above his flat, so downstairs he ran, in his pyjamas armed with a baseball bat, only to find the truck all secure???? no one about but the landy sitting there merrily trying to start itself???????

So the serious bit, he has been out to it with a battery a jump leads and it starts and stops as it should? now with all the problems i have had with it not starting, then not turning off, do you think it needs a new barrel? or a visit from a local priest to exorcise it???

Any help much appreciated

Paul

I'll ask the brethren for prayers for your landy :D

Could be a loose earth some where. I had a similar problem a while back, where I was 'leaking' power from the battery. After a good wash down and de-grease, (the old19j engine was leaking oil) it seemed to solve itself, after going through checking all the conectors. Make sure the contacys on the starter is clean.

if it was cranking (but presumably not starting) then that would suggest that the starter solenoid wire has shorted to live. Its a pretty simple circuit so work thru it and check for any chafes etc, but i would think its got to have happened at the ignition barrel, or the starter itself.

I'm presuming it didnt actually start, because that would require both the ignition to have come on, AND the solenoid to short over... Which really is quite ghostly :P

Seen this a few times in my life and it all came down to a relay someone has hacked in there for the starter solenoid.

Especially when things are wet, the relay conducts and thus turns on the starter motor.

Regards Phil....:lol:

Holy monkeys, you might need that exorcist...

Assuming it was ok in the first instance, i.e. fuel stop solanoid working, sounds like it could be a local fault to your starter/starter circuit, as it didn't fire up then no fuel getting to the engine - so the ignition wasn't on.

If its local, perhaps the solanoid switch on the starter could have stuck on - it could only have done that if maybe the spring in the solanoid had failed and not opened the switch properly... or a fault further up the starter circuit i.e. ignition switch, that somhow closed the starter circuit, would have to look at the ignition switch to work out if its possible to just power up one circuit (starter) without powering up the fuel stop solanoid.