Extended Full air suspension .......

2drdan

Well this has been rattling around my head for a while now.....

My disco has rear air suspension.

I have fitted 265/65/18 BFG ATs which have increased the gearing a bit too much but I think an Ashcroft replacement transfer box gearset will sort that.

The vehicle would benefit from a mild lift of one inch as we have already gone up about that much with the tyre height and access to the cabin is already abit of a stretch for my 5'6" girlfreind!

Obviously to increase the departure angle at least, at least another inch up would be beneficial....

So....having replaced the rear airbags not so long ago I cut out the mounting plates top and bottom to save and see what could be done.

I wondered about having custom length bags made up and fitted to the LR mountings.....

Or just investigating a longer set of springs that could be fitted to the Disco as it is or by customising the mounts....thus giving me more travel on the offroad setting without upsetting the normal height.

This leaves the front...by using a double shock mount I could remove the need to have a shock through the airbag and then the same would apply, either using rear bags or custom ones....

The only part left to work out is the control of it all and whether using the standard compressor and an aftermarket control would work if I tell the ecu that the vehicle has springs!.......

Any one done this or got any ideas ..?????

(I've not included checking the front propshaft for angles but assume that as so many folks have a 2" lift on springs this shouldn't be an issue and then the issue of anti roll bars has conveniently been solved by Xengs' detachable set up!)

Cheers

Phil.

Depends on what you want to do.

Do you want more articulation/travel and the possible reduction in road manners?

Do you want to lift the vehicle for tyre clearance (if so then 1" spacers would be adequate).

Not sure on the ECU

Hello

I had some minor dealings in a former life with air suspension in the mid 90's and the main problem was ecu programming, of course it was possible but the manufacturers' bean counters decreed that it was too expensive, so coils front air rear was the compromise.

I should think LR had the same problem, hense the td5 setup.

To do a retrofit air front sounds interesting but I would suggest that the main problem would be computing capacity

from the ecu. I know lr put in all sorts of upgrade infrastructure like the cruise control gubbins but I bet they didn't put another couple of sockets for front airbags.

Another ecu/abs box would do, together with a couple of ride height sensors and leave the abs bit unused, but how you would link the two is beyond me. Perhaps the disco 3 bits could be used but the cost would be, well lots.

Thinking about the amount the standard compressor runs from dropped to offroad height, to me would suggest that a standard pump would cope with the extra bags, so a larger or additional pump would speed things up a bit but would not be necessary

Mmmm interesting

Cheers