power steering

bonjovi

there has just been a disco 200 tdi engine fitted in my 90.

i was told by the previous owner of the disco that he was driving along at about 60 mph and sudenly the steering went heavy and he had a job to steer the car.i drove the disco after and all seamed fine.

of course i may have inherited this problem with the engine change and dont really want to experiece the same failure whilst i am doing 60 mph

would this be a power steering pump issue?ie do they do that as i imagine they would either work or not.or could it be air in the system?

i also have a defender 300 tdi pump are they the same as i could just fit that to be sure all is ok?

thanks

there has just been a disco 200 tdi engine fitted in my 90.

i was told by the previous owner of the disco that he was driving along at about 60 mph and sudenly the steering went heavy and he had a job to steer the car.i drove the disco after and all seamed fine.

of course i may have inherited this problem with the engine change and dont really want to experiece the same failure whilst i am doing 60 mph

would this be a power steering pump issue?ie do they do that as i imagine they would either work or not.or could it be air in the system?

i also have a defender 300 tdi pump are they the same as i could just fit that to be sure all is ok?

thanks

I think this should be in International.

Anyway, "suddenly" heavy is either pump failure (arsk me how I know :huh: ) or serious fluid level / bleeding issues, which will have gone away when you transferred the bits. I've not ome accross an intermittent pump failure? They work and then they don't, forever (or until you find which ferkin' fuse it is :angry: (not LR))

yes thats what i thought the pump would work or just not.

i was however asked today if there was a presure relief valve on the pump that may have temporary stuck?but cannot say have had a relly good look at this.

The problem was experienced in the disco and then went away in the disco.i have now placed the complete engine with ancills in the defender but have not road tested it yet as i am considering changng the pump anyway(just in case)the steering box is still in the disco although i intend to fit that in my defender as well.

thanks.

soon any bits off the disco and defender i do not use will appear in the for sale section if there is any interest?

Yes there is a pressure relief valve in the pump. A faint memory says something about a bit sticking out the side from when I took a 200Tdi pump apart. It was probably six years ago though so I can't remember details.