Mercedes new Armoured G-Wagon concept

Gromit

Mercedes has revealed the Mercedes G-Wagon armored vehicle at the EUROSATORY 2010 event which covers various army technology. Called the Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon Light Armored Patrol Vehicle 6.X CONCEPT, the new model is an evolution of the current LAPV 5.4 which improves on agility, protection and payload capacity. The weight of the Mercedes G-Wagon LAPV 6.X CONCEPT armored vehicle has been reduced More.. in comparison to the current model without reducing the car's protection.

The Mercedes G-Wagon is powered by a diesel engine that can take it to a top speed of 150 km/h ( 93mph ) while the car is carrying a payload of 1.3 tons

LiveLeak-dot-com-57b72916fae7-mercedesgwagonarmouredvehicle1.jpg?epochTTL=1279077488&Token=1c9826e187cd52f9b62fd067047426af&ri=1200&rs=1000

Looks like it has been made by Tamiya! I like it :)

I use Armoured Land cruiser's here at work(I'm in Afghanistan)the older 2007 model and also the 2009 model too and they're heavy enough as it is in what you could say is they're normal form-ie: normal body shell but armoured inner shell-very top heavy and have a tendency to roll over when blow out's happen-luckily the clients and us all wear seat belts to reduce any damage to them selves in case of a roll over-the only thing Armoured I would even consider doing 150 KMH in would be a Ford excursion which is an incredibly good vehicle for strength and speed combined

John

I have to say that not only does it look OK in show colours, the fact that Mercedes are fitting all over locking diffs and now portals to the G wagen (even if it is just this one) it does show up what LR do to the Defender a bit...

definately looks like a tamiya r/c truck to me. those portals look interesting, why cant someone develop a bolt on adaptor for the landrover axles? looks like it could be a fairly straightforward conversion, take the drive from the cv, through the portal box, which is bolted to where the drive flange would normally go, then bolt the drive flange back on at the bottom of the adaptor......i could be talking complete rubbish with this idea, but would make an interesting bolt on conversion for the financially challenged....

those portals look interesting, why cant someone develop a bolt on adaptor for the landrover axles? 

*cough*  http://www.killeraxles.com/html/ger.html

Also, for Dana axles: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0908_axletech_bolt_on_portal_axles_dana_60_14_bolt/index.html 

:)

I didnt get to Euros, but i did go to DVD at milbrook-got to drive one of these

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/car-photos/renault-sherpa-1-big.jpg

much prefer it!

it is interesting that mercedes have gone the way they have as everyone else is going the "bigger is better" more armour, bigger engines, etc

it is interesting that mercedes have gone the way they have as everyone else is going the "bigger is better" more armour, bigger engines, etc

Even in this age of ultra-high-levels of crew protection there's still got to be an operational requirement for something lighter and more manoverable.

I agree it does show that Landrover have lost the way, when Mercedes, Jeep and I think still Toyota are offering live axled, diff lock equipt light 4x4s to the commercial and military markets.

Even in this age of ultra-high-levels of crew protection there's still got to be an operational requirement for something lighter and more manoverable.

I agree it does show that Landrover have lost the way, when Mercedes, Jeep and I think still Toyota are offering live axled, diff lock equipt light 4x4s to the commercial and military markets.

I quite agree-there is room for it, but the demand seems to be armoured patrol vehicles, or the other end of the spectrum with light, little or no armoured scout/recce vehicles. the space in between is steadily dissapearing, and with the current focus on IEDs its understandable.

no make a blastproof, go anywhere 110 that does 300miles to the gallon and runs on air-you will be a millionaire in 30seconds!lol

• 4 months later...

Well, hate to say it, but there´s an alternative:

My project car the "Rhino", based on a LR Defender 130CC Puma, is available as a fully armoured (STANAG3 for the chassis and STANAG2a for the underbody) long range recce vehicle. It has a bunch of other modifications and extras and a operation range of approx. 2500km (regular mix of on-/off-road).

It seats 4 with an emergency seat at the rear centre.

It´s airportable (underslung) and fits the internal load dimensions of the Chinook and others.

The underbody armour package and the HD axles with portals are available as a seperate option, too, ready to install and build to your vehicle requirements.

Delivery time from reception of order is approx. 3 months, depending on options (full vehicle).

It´s doable and you don´t have to wait 200 brand new trucks to be build in the coming years, when you need a safer option now.

You can even keep quite a few of your LR and Maxi Drive spares and reuse them.

Just an idea....