300 tdi head bolts

Hi all

I have just replaced the head gasket on my 300 tdi defender, ive nearly got it all back together to find that somthing is stopping my engine from rotating. I can turn the engine over by hand until you can feel somthing collide then jam the engine, it is the same in both direction and always at the same position. Could i have got some of the headbolts in the wrong location, so much so that they extra length is protruding onto somthing??? Is this possible??? I will be stripping it down tomorrow if noone can shed any light on it.

Thanks

James

Loosen off the rocker gear as I found similar symptoms to what you have described when I did radi90hybrids old 90's cambelt before It went walkies, as soon as I loosened off the rocker gear the engine rotated correctly and after that I adjusted the rocker gear to make it loose so that I could adjust it properly when refitted to the engine

HTH

John

Hi all

I have just replaced the head gasket on my 300 tdi defender, ive nearly got it all back together to find that somthing is stopping my engine from rotating. I can turn the engine over by hand until you can feel somthing collide then jam the engine, it is the same in both direction and always at the same position. Could i have got some of the headbolts in the wrong location, so much so that they extra length is protruding onto somthing??? Is this possible??? I will be stripping it down tomorrow if noone can shed any light on it.

Thanks

James

Have you got the injectors out? If not are you sure it's not just the compression you're coming up against? A diesel engine has extremely high compression and would be very difficult, if not impossible, to rotate by hand.

HTH

Mark.