viscious fan nut.

I'm replacing the timing belt,water pump ,p-gasket,auxilary belt tensioner pulley on my 300 tdi tomorrow and wanted to be clear on a few things.

1.The viscious fan nut is undone clockwise ,is that when facing the vehicle ?

2.which bolts need to be threadlocked,I P pump bolts ,crankshaft bolt,waterpump bolts ?

3.would it be best to test the engine after the belt change before doing the tappets or do it all at once and then turn the engine ?

Yes.

2.which bolts need to be threadlocked,I P pump bolts ,crankshaft bolt,waterpump bolts ?

The crank bolt needs threadlock. None of the others need it. You shouldn't need to undo the IP pump pulley bolts unless resetting the timing. Can't remember if they are threadlocked. I suspect not, but it wouldn't hurt

3.would it be best to test the engine after the belt change before doing the tappets or do it all at once and then turn the engine ?

Personally, I do one thing at a time, make sure it runs ok, then move on to the next job.

I'm replacing the timing belt,water pump ,p-gasket,auxilary belt tensioner pulley on my 300 tdi tomorrow and wanted to be clear on a few things.

1. Yes, it's a left hand thread, therefore rotate clockwise as you look at it from the front of the engine to undo it.

2. AFAIK only the crank pulley retaining bolt, but it wouldn't hurt on the IP bolts. I wouldn't put it on the water pump bolts as they can corrode and be a pig to get out.

3. Doesn't make much difference really. I'd do them after fitting the new belt and before starting the engine but I don't think it matters.

HTH

Mark

Edit: :rolleyes: Beaten to it by Gromit. :lol:

Thanks for the speedy replies guys,i've spent months getting all the tools and parts together to do this i even lay a nice flat slab of concrete just for working on the landy and it's hard to beleive i'm actually going to get on with it,i'm sure those waterpump bolts will give me greif i mean it can't all go like clockwork can it ???

post-22390-127927070344_thumb.jpgOK first surprise,the camshaft pulley is only held on by 3 bolts,the 4th cannot stay on due to the fact the threaded slot is broken,up until now It hasn't posed or created any problems.Can I carry on with just 3 bolts ?

BAD idea. It is supposed to have 4, to even out the stresses.

better to replace that bit of the timing case the 4 bolt hub is not supplied as a seperate part, otherwise the fan hub may run out of true & create further problems. you may be able to source another timing case front cover from enay or a LR breaker.

I'd left the viscious fan lying in the sun, when i picked it up I noticed a trace of oil on the piece of wood that was underneath,is this something to be concerned about ?

The viscous fan works using magic liquid that becomes solid as it heats up, thus locking the fan. Sounds like the fan hub is leaking the magic fluid. See if it still works when you reassemble. If not, a new fan hub is a lot of money. Alternatively, you could convert to an electric fan from a scrappy for not much money.

The viscous fan works using magic liquid that becomes solid as it heats up, thus locking the fan. Sounds like the fan hub is leaking the magic fluid. See if it still works when you reassemble. If not, a new fan hub is a lot of money. Alternatively, you could convert to an electric fan from a scrappy for not much money.

Or 32 of your hard-earned GBpounds on Eblag

How do I test to see if it's still working ?

It should allow the fan to spin relatively freely when at room temperature, and lock almost solid at 70 - 800. Heat gun on a low setting (mind your fingers, and don't let it get silly hot).