D1 certral locking - strange behavior

Part1cle

I've been through all the c/l threads I can find on here but can't find one to match this!

Occasionally when driving along and using the right hand indicator the c/l locks and nearly makes me cra jump out of the seat. Also, the other half reported that when she came to unlock it the other day it immediately locked itsself again and did this several times.

Not sure if this is connected, but recently the near side back door doesn't unlock when all other doors do. It can be unlocked by pulling the tab up manually. My guess is that the actuator is either gone out of adjustment or worn out.

I'm thinking earth fault(s) wheres the best place to start? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Henry.

Oh, she's a '98 D1 ES Premium, we are using a two button key fob and all other function seem ok.

I've been through all the c/l threads I can find on here but can't find one to match this!

Occasionally when driving along and using the right hand indicator the c/l locks and nearly makes me cra jump out of the seat. Also, the other half reported that when she came to unlock it the other day it immediately locked itsself again and did this several times.

Not sure if this is connected, but recently the near side back door doesn't unlock when all other doors do. It can be unlocked by pulling the tab up manually. My guess is that the actuator is either gone out of adjustment or worn out.

I'm thinking earth fault(s) wheres the best place to start? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Henry.

Oh, she's a '98 D1 ES Premium, we are using a two button key fob and all other function seem ok.

Up to the point where you said "Thanks, Henry" your post describes EXACTLY what has been happening to my '90 RRC for a year or so now, so I will be watching the replies with interest!

I have made no effort to diagnose/fix mine since I always have more important things to do to it - the main inconvenience for me was when I left the keys in the ignition while loading the car and shut the door for a moment and it locked as I walked away. Other than that I can work around it, but it does make you jump when it locks as you are driving along :D

I'd look at the door that isn't locking first. I can't recall about rear doors ( I had a 3door) but there may be microswitches in there controlling the central locking. If the mech is sticking halfway it might be tripping the switch or something.

All the passenger doors have just a dumb slave actuator with no micro-switches. If the CL locks/unlocks ok via the fob I would have the doorcard off first and have look at the master actuator, a slight adjustment can be made with the mounting screws, perhaps sometimes the actuators operating rod is not traveling to it's full extent therefore return to the locked position. You can spray some lub over the lock mech at the same time.

All the passenger doors have just a dumb slave actuator with no micro-switches.

<..edit..>

I don't have a remote on my RRC, but both the driver's and front passenger's doors will operate the CL on the key so perhaps the Disco is different? If I open the front passenger door on the key then I subsequently get no sudden locking problems - it only happens when I leave the front passenger door locked having opened the car from the driver's door...

Thanks for all the replys.

I will be looking at the points recommended and see what I can work out. As ThreeSheds said, other than the c/l going off it isn't too much of a problem but I'll have a look at it when I have time and report back - seemed a good idea to ask here first though....

Cheers, Henry.

Look on the bright side, at least you haven't got the random dodgy earth I never tracked down on the electric windows. That was good as suddenly when you tried to wind one window up, the other would go right the way down before the first window moved upwards.