Grinding noise on overrun...

Varsas

Hi. Me. Again...

So, I have bought another S3 land rover. Even before the other one broke I wanted a better example so I thought I'd spend a bit more and get a nice one. That hasn't gone too well.

When you lift the throttle at high speed (45+mph) you get a horrible grinding noise. This happens even if:

Clutch in/out

Overdrive in/out

3rd/4th gear (although the noise is reduced in 3rd)

Holding gear sticks/levers in place

You can't go fast enough in 1st/2nd or low ratio to make the noise happen, and obviously I can't go that fast in 4WD to test that either.

I understand the usual suspect is the rear diff. (and I do hope that's all it is) but it really sounds like it's coming from much further forward, gearbox/transfer box area.

I suspect the overdrive. Does that sound sensible, or because it happens when out of overdrive does that mean it can't be the overdrive?

If I do want to remove the overdrive do I need any new parts? This: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/619 suggests I need a new, non-overdrive, tab washer?

Cheers again.

Not sure about the noise, but if it is the OD it could occur with it engaged or disengaged.

If you remove the OD you will need the gear that fits on the mainshaft, the standard tab washer, the nut that goes on the end of the mainshaft, a new gasket and the casting that goes in the hole where the OD locates. You need the proper item as this supports the rear of the mainshaft, it doesn't jusy bung the hole up. I would also fit new lock washers under the nuts that hold it in place.

When the rear diff on my discovery left it's oil behind it sounded like the noise was coming from the gearbox, I suspect it's because the noise travels though the prop etc better than through the boot floor. Just before it gave proper notice by banging it was grinding at about 60mph, then again it was hot enough to melt the front oil seal at that stage. It would be worth seeing if the rear diff is getting hotter than the front after a run, also an oil change might do some good, it made mine much quieter.

hmm..thanks for the replies.

I do, of course, have another prop shaft/diff and anything else I might need on the other car (which is immobilised by the engine issues anyway).

I might have a go swapping the known, good, diff/propshaft off that car and see. Got to be worth a go given how expensive a new OD is.

• 12 years later...
On 7/16/2010 at 8:54 AM, Varsas said:

Hi. Me. Again...

So, I have bought another S3 land rover. Even before the other one broke I wanted a better example so I thought I'd spend a bit more and get a nice one. That hasn't gone too well.

When you lift the throttle at high speed (45+mph) you get a horrible grinding noise. This happens even if:

Clutch in/out

Overdrive in/out

3rd/4th gear (although the noise is reduced in 3rd)

Holding gear sticks/levers in place

You can't go fast enough in 1st/2nd or low ratio to make the noise happen, and obviously I can't go that fast in 4WD to test that either.

I understand the usual suspect is the rear diff. (and I do hope that's all it is) but it really sounds like it's coming from much further forward, gearbox/transfer box area.

I suspect the overdrive. Does that sound sensible, or because it happens when out of overdrive does that mean it can't be the overdrive?

If I do want to remove the overdrive do I need any new parts? This: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/619 suggests I need a new, non-overdrive, tab washer?

Cheers again.

Hi did you ever find out what was wrong? I too have an S3 that has started to make a horrible grinding noise as you have described. Mines a 88" Diesel with overdrive.

Thanks Paul