Light stalk.. Broken?

Hi,

Just got in my landy to test my lights work etc. and found the light stalk seemed to have loads of play in it. So much so that you have to pull the stalk outwards (towards the passenger side) in order to switch the side lights/dipped lights on and off. Has something just come loose or is it badly worn due wear. The reason i ask, i passed my test today, and hope to get on the road tomorow. I really dont fancy stipping it down (not really knowing what to look for).. make things worse then have nothing to drive! Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just got in my landy to test my lights work etc. and found the light stalk seemed to have loads of play in it. So much so that you have to pull the stalk outwards (towards the passenger side) in order to switch the side lights/dipped lights on and off. Has something just come loose or is it badly worn due wear. The reason i ask, i passed my test today, and hope to get on the road tomorow. I really dont fancy stipping it down (not really knowing what to look for).. make things worse then have nothing to drive! Thanks in advance.

It sounds very broken. They are however quite easy to replace: covers off the steering column, disconnect the appropriate plug, remove the switch, and re-assembly is the reverse. I doubt you'll be able to make a lasting repair, the switches aren't brilliant to begin with :(

the stalk is attached to a plastic bit which is like a ring that goes around the steering column. that plastic ring is broken. Hence the only way is to replace the entire stock. sorry. no easy way out.

OP said:

pull the stalk outwards (towards the passenger side) in order to switch the side lights/dipped lights on and off.

It might not be the whole bracket that's loose, just the off / side / head switch.

Souster: are all the other switches on the steering column as bad?

Thanks for the help!!

The indicator stalk has a bit of play, but the other side is fine. The stalk that is broken, can be pushed into the steering column about 1cm and the same with being pulled out. The only way i can switch the lights on and off is pull the stalk out from the steering column.

So it looks like im best to strip it down and have a look. Thanks folks.

Thanks for the help!!

The indicator stalk has a bit of play, but the other side is fine. The stalk that is broken, can be pushed into the steering column about 1cm and the same with being pulled out. The only way i can switch the lights on and off is pull the stalk out from the steering column.

So it looks like im best to strip it down and have a look. Thanks folks.

Wot Ralph sed then :D