Input gear & intermediate gear alignment

I've been rebuilding my LT230, now @6000+ km. It's fine but there is a bit of a whine at 100-120km/h. When rebuilding I did notice a small difference (1mm or so) on the alignment of input gear and intermediate gear, I guess that not correct.

At the moment my other box is in pieces and I've checked this box with my overdrive input gear. Same problem, one mm off. I checked with another input gear and that one is a perfect fit.

Question what is causing this problem? As there are no shims ftted between the FRC5564 bearing outer race and the housing.

Also no shims on the gear. Only shim fitted is the one at the back of the gear / back plate. Changing thickness of that one will not adjust the one mm the gear is sticking to far to the front....

The only thing I can think of is to fit a shim at the front, behind the bearing outer race but there is no part listed or shown in the parts catalogue. I wonder if anybody has come across the same problem?

Cheers

Marco

• 4 weeks later...

might be worth a phone call or e.mail to Ashcroft Tansmissions for their advice.

I've received feedback from Ashcroft and they (Dave) does say it's normal the gears often do not line up properly... guess either the length of the individual input gears are not 100% the same or between casings the dept of the outer bearing race hole is variable... interesting.

Cheers

Marco

When you rebuilt it, did you use parts from different transmissions?

EG a input gear from a different box say, or perhaps even a new aftermarket one?

The whine could be caused by differing levels of wear on the teeth causing them not to quite mesh perfectly?

When you rebuilt it, did you use parts from different transmissions?

EG a input gear from a different box say, or perhaps even a new aftermarket one?

The whine could be caused by differing levels of wear on the teeth causing them not to quite mesh perfectly?

On my own rebuild I did use a cross drilled gear from another box. But if I check between several gears on my shelf incl. the overdrive some match and some do not match. The previously fitted overdrive did not match but that one did not whine either... as soon as I do have time for the transfer box I will swap gears from the old casing into the new one.

The question is if it's caused by shorter gears or different casings... as there are no shims to adjust. There will be an update as soon as I've investigated.

• 7 months later...

Hello Marco,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but i was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem.

One thing i was thinking was that you mention that you had a cross-drilled input gear. According to Ashcrofts, some cross-drilled gears can cause a whine due to them not being crowned. Maybe this was causing the whine?

Hello Marco,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but i was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem.

One thing i was thinking was that you mention that you had a cross-drilled input gear. According to Ashcrofts, some cross-drilled gears can cause a whine due to them not being crowned. Maybe this was causing the whine?

Hi, no actually not... I've replaced this LT230 with another one (recon Ashcroft + re-recon by myself with new bearing) + fitted back my overdrive. No whine a the moment. OD gear lined up better on this box so will keep this set up until next recon job / or if the OD fails.

Cheers

Marco

• 6 months later...

Hi, no actually not... I've replaced this LT230 with another one (recon Ashcroft + re-recon by myself with new bearing) + fitted back my overdrive. No whine a the moment. OD gear lined up better on this box so will keep this set up until next recon job / or if the OD fails.

And yes... it looks like the GKN overdrive has failed again, oil transfer and funny operation (slipping?).. On the way down South to Italy I decided not to use it anymore. Have not touched it since and no problems or funny noises (over 3000km). But will have to take it out completely (as it's useless to leave it in the car) and fit back a (non whining) input gear.......

Cheers

Marco

Oil transfer indicates the the two oil seals on the OD adapter plate and the sealed orange bearing have failed. Are you getting EP90 in the OD? I had this to the extent that if you blew down the overdrive breather, the air came out of the transfer box breather! The seals and bearing are easy to change and can be obtained from devon 4x4 - they do a heavy duty set of seals for this. The slipping/jumping out of gear is the EP90 in the OD mucking up the oil pressure/pump.

Oil transfer indicates the the two oil seals on the OD adapter plate and the sealed orange bearing have failed. Are you getting EP90 in the OD? I had this to the extent that if you blew down the overdrive breather, the air came out of the transfer box breather! The seals and bearing are easy to change and can be obtained from devon 4x4 - they do a heavy duty set of seals for this. The slipping/jumping out of gear is the EP90 in the OD mucking up the oil pressure/pump.

Oils mixing and level low... but have been there...rebuilding with HD seals (as instructed) and new sealed bearing supplied by Devon. Ended up waste of money and time... unfortunately. It just did not last.