p38 electric window problem

bimotaman

hi guys

im looking for a little help regarding a electric window problem.

i had a visit today from a friend whos window would not go up and down, the problem started after charging the battery when it had gone flat.

he asked me to change the motor for him which i did, but turned out not to be the problem.

when the window switch is pressed the solinoid can be heard working in the control module in the door and using a voltmeter i could test that power was being sent to the motor (which it was). i also ran power to the motor to test it was working ~(it was).

the dash screen bongs and says window not set.

is there some sequence to reset the window or relay system.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks phill.

the dash screen bongs and says window not set.

is there some sequence to reset the window or relay system.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks phill.

Yes there is a reset sequence, but it depends on the motor actually winding the window up and down. It's actually a reset of the upper and lower limit switches, not a reset that enables the window to move.

when the window switch is pressed the solinoid can be heard working in the control module in the door ...

I think you may be hearing the motor gear slipping on the teeth of the quadrant, although this is normally a loud banging, not a clicking. When you apply power directly to the motor, is the glass going up and down?

thanks for the reply

i have taken the door panel and mechanism to bits, the clicking is definatly coming from the control module, when power is put directly to the motor the window moves up and down correctly.

when the switch is pressed it sends power to the motor but only the solinoid clicks. the only thing i can think of is some sort of inhibitor sensor preventing the window operating?

phill