Disco steering Damper relocation

Mark

I fitted my QT diff guards the other day, which involves taking off the original Steering Damper bracket and counterweight and using the bracket on the dif guard. This is all fine, but in doing this I noticed that the damper is somewhat squashed (probably from going down lane from hell on the forum wales trip) so I got thinking about relocating it in front of the axle as per defenders.

So, what is the best way to do this? I have seen relocation kits using clamp type brackets on the draglink but is is OK to weld a bracket here? Would a defender draglink fit - presumably this already has a bracket on it?

Cheers

Mark

Would a defender draglink fit - presumably this already has a bracket on it?

Thats the way I did it. I was fitting HD steering links at the same time, so just go hold of a Defender 'swan neck' that fits on the steering box drop arm. Ordered a Defender steering damper and welded an bracket onto the chassis for the other end.

HTH

I fitted my QT diff guards the other day, which involves taking off the original Steering Damper bracket and counterweight and using the bracket on the dif guard. This is all fine, but in doing this I noticed that the damper is somewhat squashed (probably from going down lane from hell on the forum wales trip) so I got thinking about relocating it in front of the axle as per defenders.

So, what is the best way to do this? I have seen relocation kits using clamp type brackets on the draglink but is is OK to weld a bracket here? Would a defender draglink fit - presumably this already has a bracket on it?

Cheers

Mark

Most Disco have taper rollers top and bottom in the swivels which will have no inherant damping(resistance to turning), defender has railco at the top which does have damping effect.

So from experience a coil conversion on an 88" with RRC/D1 type axles which had the damper mounted defender style not RRC/D1 style suffered from shimmy on the R/H front wheel that could not be cured by any tracking or preload setting, the damper was working thro 3 track rod ends. It was only cured by re fitting the damper as per RRC/D1 on the diff to track rod.

So if your Disco has railco top bushes then it would be ok on the drag link but if you have taper rollers at the top then dont be supprised if the R/H front has a shimmy. :rolleyes:

I'm also not sure if the defender 'swan neck' would fit a Disco steering box unless you also change the drop arm.

Didn't for mine Trev. 1990 vintage Discovery.

I must admit I didn't see the whole vehicle that I got the 'swan neck' off, it was just salvaged off an axle that was on the deck. It has a taper in it that fitted the ball joint in the drop arm on my steering box and I just order HD steering arms to fit a Defender. (shrug). :unsure:

if you've got a later disco with the straight arm, don't change it for a defender 'drop arm' the 'build it yourself' ball joints are a pain in the arse and not as good as the screw-in type the are fitted every where else...