help 300 tdi disco cutting out M.O.T on tuesday

dicsosfa

hi all :)

after almost running out of fuel for only the second time (only spluttering now and then) made it to the garage put £30 in and it ran fine for about a mile then appeared to run out of fuel :cry: it starts again and ticks over but will not rev, checked under the bonnet, unscrewed the fuel filter to check for diesel and it was either pressurized or drew air in unsure as i happened so fast, it was full with diesel screwed it on again primed it with the lift pump (noticed that there was only stiffness at the bottom inch of the stroke is that normal ?) started up again seemed fine but ran out after just over 2 miles repeated a few more times to get home also noticed it smoked a bit more than usuall put on a new filter and it started and then went for about 8 to 9 miles before starting all over again.

could the lift pump be dying or can it be the sedimentor thing on the rear chassis, also can i remove this or can it be cleaned out

any help is very welcome and needed as my mot is on this coming tuesday

Roy :wink:

hi all :)

after almost running out of fuel for only the second time (only spluttering now and then) made it to the garage put £30 in and it ran fine for about a mile then appeared to run out of fuel :cry: it starts again and ticks over but will not rev, checked under the bonnet, unscrewed the fuel filter to check for diesel and it was either pressurized or drew air in unsure as i happened so fast, it was full with diesel screwed it on again primed it with the lift pump (noticed that there was only stiffness at the bottom inch of the stroke is that normal ?) started up again seemed fine but ran out after just over 2 miles repeated a few more times to get home also noticed it smoked a bit more than usuall put on a new filter and it started and then went for about 8 to 9 miles before starting all over again.

could the lift pump be dying or can it be the sedimentor thing on the rear chassis, also can i remove this or can it be cleaned out

any help is very welcome and needed as my mot is on this coming tuesday

Roy :wink:

Hi Roy

Sounds like you have suckd up some s**t, try a new filter on the bulkhead & then clean out the one under the rear arch or bypass it ;)

Hi Roy

Sounds like you have suckd up some s**t, try a new filter on the bulkhead & then clean out the one under the rear arch or bypass it ;)

hi

have changed fuel filter on bulkhead not yet done sedimeter at the back, can i just get rid of it and change the bulkhead one more often ?

Roy

hi

have changed fuel filter on bulkhead not yet done sedimeter at the back, can i just get rid of it and change the bulkhead one more often ?

Roy

yes just bypass it with a bit of pipe, done this on a 200tdi & had no problems at all, if you have access to an air line you could take the fuel line of & blow back any debris toward the tank as well ;)

John

Hi There,

Mine did exactly the same thing. Mine turned out to be the sedimenter at the back. It was not properly sealed and allowed air to be sucked into the system. Since then I have done the lift pump, that made no noticable difference, but at least I know it has been done. Within a year it started cutting out, and that proved to be the alarm spider. Everything said on this forum tends to come true. So check out sedimenter first, it's the easiest to do. Lift pump was only £16 and took an hour to do. The spider took two hours and is very fiddley, but mine was really bad when I got it out. Just re-solder every tag. I put a picture of it on this site when I did it.

Good luck.

Hi There,

Mine did exactly the same thing. Mine turned out to be the sedimenter at the back. It was not properly sealed and allowed air to be sucked into the system. Since then I have done the lift pump, that made no noticable difference, but at least I know it has been done. Within a year it started cutting out, and that proved to be the alarm spider. Everything said on this forum tends to come true. So check out sedimenter first, it's the easiest to do. Lift pump was only £16 and took an hour to do. The spider took two hours and is very fiddley, but mine was really bad when I got it out. Just re-solder every tag. I put a picture of it on this site when I did it.

Good luck.

hi

managed to pospone the mot till thursday (runs out on friday tuesday was the only free space they had) started to get ready to do the sedimenter, cleaned all around it then noticed that the nut on top was all chewed up and rounded off(someone must have used mole grips on it)so 30mins later it still would not undo, so i bit the bullet and took it to the garage doing the mot and i have told them to remove it completely and bin it,blow the fuel lines out and then mot it as its needed for work

and i hope that cures it

Roy

hi

managed to pospone the mot till thursday (runs out on friday tuesday was the only free space they had) started to get ready to do the sedimenter, cleaned all around it then noticed that the nut on top was all chewed up and rounded off(someone must have used mole grips on it)so 30mins later it still would not undo, so i bit the bullet and took it to the garage doing the mot and i have told them to remove it completely and bin it,blow the fuel lines out and then mot it as its needed for work

and i hope that cures it

Roy

Hi

just a quick update the garage have now bypassed the sedimenter filter and put a bottle of diesel treatment direct into the bulkhead filter and taken it for run and they say it seems to be ok (time wil tell lol ) and they put it on the emission machine and it was ok so m.o.t should be straight forward touch wood

Roy

hi

just to let you know the car passed its mot but has 4 advisory notes

1. slight leak on steering box.

2. engine oil leak/

3. fuel pipe/pipes corroded.

4. this vehicle has corrosion

but the vehicle has ran for 5 ish miles and started playing up it cut out 3 times in 2 miles so i will be getting a lift pump tomorrow and hope that sorts it just need to read up on fitting it

Roy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi

just to let all those that helped me that i have now fixed my disco i have replaced the lift pump and "it lives again"

again thanks for all the help from fellow forum members

Roy

Hi there,

It's good to hear it's fine again. The MOT seems fine too. Mine has some corosion, but with 198000 miles on the clock, it's not too bad. I replace the brake pipes, Rimmers provded them for a reasonable price. It's a pain doing it, but it might be necessary if the man complains too much. I also changed the shockers, an easy task, got them from a local parts shop, like £20 each. That was the best thing I have done. The ride is as a new one.

Good luck with yours.